Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Video Game Consoles: You Have The Power!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:29 am

Oh I'm sure the Buster Douglas game has some value on either system. Did you play the Predator 2 game before?

I know, amazing how graphics and stuff can look so great to you as a youngster then years & years later looks so different and dated but even so, the classics are still the same...CLASSIC :batsmile:

Acid - Oh I loved River City Ransom, played it a lot back in the day. Amazing about they are the same charters, I love it when games like that are all part of the same universe :batsmile: I got it on virtual console for the Wii U. I have renegade too on PS4 but never really got into it. Great stuff Acid :)

I had said before, I loved Acclaim and their companies LJN, Arena, Fly Edge, Sculpted Sofware, Iguana and others and not to mention their partnership with Midway. They were like THE GAME COMPANY in the late 80s and 90s because they made so many great titles of all kinds and most of everything they made I was to My liking. Then came the 2000s and their gone :roll: When I was a kid and a teenager, I loved following these companies in mags & TV and playing their games way before the web ever came into play. Now you never hear anything about'em except for/by geeks & nerds like US that talk about them one way or another...at least there's that :)

Now, back to your games PB and cool choices by the way ;) I had only seen them games you posted PB (Arch Rivals & Super Dodge Ball) in ads in comics & wrestling magazines back in the day. the gameplay looked really fun however, the grpahic weren't all too bad to me even by now. Honestly, I never was interested in sports games like that back then except for wrestling, boxing, baseball & occasional hockey. I played the others like NFL, soccer and stuff but since I didn't watch those sports they just weren't that fun, however, I got into NBA Jam! Now that was more to My liking because there was more to it than just basketball. Remember that or played that before :?: I just thought the stunts and everything was so cool and the power ups were just rad like the big heads & flaming ball where you could burn the hoop net :o I loved it so much I got it for just about every system I have except Game Boy (I don't know why, just didn't want GB anymore) & Genesis cause I wanted it for Sega CD instead which was arguably even better :o

Now the Tournament Edition/T.E. was the second version/update of the game and I thought it was funner. I only got this one for the Sega Genesis 32X however.

Here is the classic ads for the regular & T.E. versions :)

Here is the SNES & 32X gameplay :)

Hope you liked that :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:06 am

Boom-chakalaka!

NBA Jam was one of those games that kind of ended the 80s era for me, as the arcade version was so popular when it came out and the graphics and game play a lot of fun. The console version was also really good. Maybe the best basketball game of that era (I always like Double Dribble, but that couldn't really compete). That was my favorite era of the NBA, MJ, RUN TMC in Golden State, the Lakers, Dominique Wilkins...I rarely watch the NBA these days as the sport isn't really the same. I know people say that about a lot of leagues, but it's true here, lol.

I just really liked sport games, especially ones that could keep track of stats. I remember when Tecmo Super Bowl came out for the NES, it was very hard to find in stock locally, and the only place that rented it was a Putt-Putt. Putt-Putt had recently gotten in the game rental, well, game. So my dad would call there daily to see if anyone returned it and have it put on hold for us so we could drive out there and get it. That's a little different then today where you can instantly download stuff. You could even rent systems back then, so some weekends we would rent a Sega Genesis and get games like Madden or Bulls vs Lakers (even then the EA sports games were great).

So I really got in to games like Baseball Stars and RBI Baseball for the NES. Then for Sega there were the above mentioned games or NHL '94, which is still beloved by many.

But sometimes it was the weirder sports games that would grab your attention.

Base Wars for NES

Mutant League Sports

Then there were games like Baseball Simulator 1.0000 that looked like a normal baseball game on the surface, you could play seasons up to 156 games, but there was a special ultra league where you had a certain number of ultra power up points so hitters could use things like a bomb ball, where the ball would explode when a fielder tried to catch it, or a missile ball where a line drive would carry fielders all the way to the wall, or an earth quake ball that would cause tremors when it hit the ground causing the fielders to freeze and allowed you to run freely for a few moments. Pitchers also had ultra pitches like a flame ball, or a swirling ball like the Queen of England. You could also play in outer space.

There were a lot of cool sports games back then.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:22 am

Glad you knew and played NBA Jam PB :) Yeah, it was one of the last games of the kind :roll: There is some other sports games I have played/own I'd like to talk about soon for the N64 & XBOX 360 :o

Fantastic story you talked about your dad and renting things. I miss those those days very much :roll: Every Easter My Grandma MiMi would do something special for Me. In 92 she rented Me the SNES from Schnucks & Blockbuster many times till My Grandparents got it from K-B later that Summer, I mean it was adding up renting it all the time ya know. She did the same thing for Me with the Sega Genesis combo system in 93 & 94 from Blockbuster. As much as loved the SNES, I just had a love for SEGA too. Oh you know I talk about the video rental places and how I kinda despise this digital age in a way because it just takes away them times and the thing is this generation really has no clue how special it was then like us. I said about it before, one movie rental place we loved to go to was Movie King, you could rent movies & games there for a week :shock: I was always bummed that i had to returned that stuff that I loved and it just wasn't the games, I mean I rented the BTTF movies and watched them constantly like for days then :lol: they also had really rare wrestling videos too, I mean like old NWA and really old indie tapes...It was so fun :)

Anyway to the games you posted, I have only seen the covers & posters of the ones you just posted PB, they looked fun. Not sure why I never wanted to give them a try. I think one of the reasons was when I was a youngster was this...if it wasn't realistic enough then it just didn't interested Me. I was kinda flaky when I was younger, as I matured I began to like just about everything no matter how it looked and whatever it was as long as it was fun. Good entries there PB :) I have a lot on My mind to post, just gotta have the time and stuff to do it ;)

By the way, I never commented (see I always look back and think about stuff ;) about your Hills pic. That is really cool, I can tell they were a great & fun store by that and with all the cool commercials your provided earlier on :) I bet I would have loved going there as much as my own local defunct stores. You posted The Hills like I did My Venture, Ben Franklin's & GrandPa Pidgeons in My Vintage Action Figure Topic, good going for you PB dude ;) I am going to continue this trend with more stores and I gotta do teh video stores as well, its very important to Me :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:15 am

packerbacker180 wrote:I always loved that you had to fight if the play was close, kind of like Blades of Steel.

Oh I loved Blades of Steel. Like I said when I showed My many NES games, I used to have such fun times with My Grandma MiMi back in the day and were weren't hockey fans yet we digged this game, it was such good times. Yes, I loved the fights, I would sometimes on purpose try to fight her :lol: ;)

Here is a couple posters of it :)

It's German but what he heck, I've always loved that art ;)

Yes, like I said during My NES showcase and as you saw I had a case nothing but Konami cause I loved them! Leave Castlevania & Contra to Me at a later date, I absolutely love them :batsmile: Oh these days of these rock so much :batgrin:

Now, I have a few Baseball games in mind, I talk about them soon :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:05 pm

There was a lot of good baseball games for the NES. Baseball Stars, RBI Baseball, Bases Loaded 2, Bo Jackson, Major League Baseball, Tecmo Baseball...even Nintendo Baseball wasn't half bad. They were all fun in different ways. RBI Baseball had really players, Bases Loaded had really good pitching graphics, Baseball Stars had a good create a player for that era.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:31 pm

Oh indeed there was and some of those are ones that I only either saw ads for only or just briefly played, the ones that was on My mind was not any of them and i'll get to them but first I gotta say this...

I found this other poster of Blades or Steel that I thought was really cool way back then!

Now, this morning I got triggered and just suddenly remembered on My Xbox 360 about My Games Rooms game! If you don't know what it is, it was a virtual mall where you Avatar could walk about and test out classic arcade games and buy them and such. The servers has been shut down for years now since about late 2016 (WWE 2K17 was one of the last games ever for the system) which is such a shame :roll: Anyway, there really wasn't much that I was interested in but 2 games and I bought Blades of Steel for it :o Its a really cool version that is more updated with a thin ratio, I believe it's one of the only recent versions for any modern system, Now the other game I got was also a Konami game and one that I showed briefly in My NES collection and that was Jackal :shock: Remember that one :?: I played it many, many times and beat it too back in the day which was great times indeed :batsmile: Now like the Xbox version of Blades of Steel, it it upgraded with better graphics and sound, it's really like 32 bit. Strange thing is, there is hardly any mention of these said versions anywhere on the web which is really pathetic, you'd think this would have been pretty big back then. I guess either people thought it wasn't or so what or even the generation before this one didn't know about it :? Either way its just pitiful :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Here is some posters of it and like I said before, leave Contra & Casletvania to Me, I'm a huge fan of them!

Here is the NES gameplay :)

OK, after you take a look at that, I'll get into some Baseball games that has been on My mind ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:24 am

I remember the name Jackal but the gameplay doesn't seem familiar. Probably saw ads in comic books. I'll be interested to see what baseball games you mention, one more I forgot was Bad News Baseball, which was kid of neat because you played as kids (and the umpires were rabbits).

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:12 am

Really :?: Yeah, Jackal was in many comic books then :) Huh PB, I don't recall that baseball game at all, looked fun though. OK, Glad your looking forward to the ones I got in store, I have a lot to talk about here so here is some I have been thinkin' about which I'm probably gonna have this in at least couple of parts but its gonna be good :)

Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball (NES & SNES) - I never played the NES version but I got the SNES version. It was by LJN :o While it's not official and all of that, I got so hooked on it, it is really the funnest ball game I have ever played. I loved playing it during the post season time during autumn :!: I thought Clemons was a great pitcher yet gave up so many homers :shock: Oh and I remember that the WWF advertised it for years on Prime Time Wrestling and others when Lord Alfred Hayes would say the infamous "Promotional Consideration, Paid For By The Following which actually was kinda fun because way before the web, I found a lot of games & action figures that way, oh I loved it how it was then!

Here is the gameplay for both NES & SNES

UPDATE: Here is the Lord Alfred Hayes I was talking about - FAST FORWARD to 5:00, he talks about the Roger Clemons game and the rest is filled with nostalgia classing gaming & wrestling and more!

Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball (SNES) - This is also a classic game, it's official and stuff. There would be 2 more released for the N64 that was super upgraded that I loved that I will talk about later. Griffey should have never went to the NL :roll:

Tommy Lasorda Baseball (Sega Genesis) - This is one of the games My Grandma MiMi got Me at GrandPa Pidgeons. We played the heck out of this! Lasorda was a character indeed.

Here is the gameplay!

ESPN Baseball Tonight (Sega CD) - Another one the We played the heck out of. Its also official. Chris Berman is classic here. Its pretty good and it's hilarious when he says..."the Whiff" :lol: :batlol: :wwsmh: :smsmh:

Hardball III (Sega Genesis) - I bought it over at Blockbuster used I believe but never really go into it :roll:

World Series Baseball 96 (Sega Genesis) - Oh I loved this series of games, I believe I played everyone of'em but I only own this one. This was arguably the greatest baseball game for the 16-bit systems graphically and it was really fun too :!:

Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball (Sega Genesis) - This was a major game for the 16-biters, it was Acclaim's big baseball game before the time of future systems and their All-Star series which I will get into later! It was awesome! I loved Frank Thomas too, when I saw him & Mark McGwire together for the first time it was astounding for Me!

I hope you liked that :) So that's all for now, I am definitely gonna make this into a couple more parts. Next I will post for the later systems which are gonna be really fun :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:09 pm

I never had an SNES but that Roger Clemens intro seemed very familiar. Now Hardball! Hardball was a game I loved for the Sega Genesis. It had pretty good graphics and game play for the time and I loved that you could make your own team logo! It was fairly simple you just filled in boxes with colors kind of like a cross stitch board. I made my team called the Buffalo Blades and my logo was a B with a sword going through the openings of the letter. This would've been around 1992. Then in 1996, the Buffalo Sabres changed their colors and logo, and one thing they added to the jersey was a shoulder patch that was a B with a sword going through it, and I was like, hey, they stole my idea, lol. Should've copyrighted it.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:14 am

Shame you didn't get a chance with a SNES but Sega Genesis was just as fun if not better as you have heard from Me before ;) Yes, Hardball was good but I didn't do much with'em however. Awesome on your Buffalo Blades and yeah, maybe you should have copyrighted it :? :roll:

All of these will be for the Nintendo 64/N64!

Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr. - By Nintendo! This game was huge for Me back then, I was so euphoric when I got it, this was one of the first games with a complete roster, the Dolby sound, sound effects and how the announcer announces EVERY PLAYER!

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest - An updated sequel, it was great and was different than the first one but I kinda liked the classic feel of the first in 98 than this one in 99.

Mike Pizza's Strike Zone - By GT Interactive. This is My fave baseball game of all-time :o This game was hit hard by critics back in the day and while its official and all that, there's not much detail but gosh. I think its REALLY cool and hilarious the way everything is done, how the crowd is, the umpires, and how the commentator sounds so enthusiastic :lol: I loved the spinning logos and menu music. I bet I played with by Myself & with My Grandma MiMi more than any other baseball game ever! If ya can, watch the first 15 minutes of it, Its just so hilarious, I could watch it all day to honest :lol: :batlol: :wwlol: :smlol: Oh I really liked Piazza, I think he was the best hitting catcher from any era IMO.

and here is the cool menu music that I just talked about, I've always loved it :)

All-Star Baseball 99 - This was Acclaim's first big one for the new systems. I really liked how real & authentic it was. It was awesome how you could trade and make your teams and yes that's Larry Walker there, a great hitter and one of My faves :) It was something how he would murder us Cardinals for years then he be a free agent and join us for a while :o

All-Star Baseball 2000 - Almost the same as the previous game but updated graphically plus there would be some awesome camera angles and options for weather like rain and even snow :o It also has a tremendous intro! Jeter got the cover this time.

Triple Play 2000 - This was a big one for Me. I loved the gameplay and the way the players looked and the camera views and the weather. The little themes that is played for home is really funny. So is the crowd and the announcer is good but he doesn't say every player by name. This was EA's only baseball for the N64. "Slamm" Sammy Sosa got the cover, I loved how it looked :)

OK, that's it for now. I hope you liked it and the games themselves. Tell Me what ya think PB ;) I'm gonna do 1 more part and that's for the Xbox 360 & PS4 next time :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions