Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:55 am

Believe it or not, I never saw Goonies. It's one of the last classics of the 80s that I haven't seen, Peacock may have it on again this year and if they do this time I gotta catch it :!:

So I was waiting for the opportunity when you'd post a movie trailer that was close to one of My favorites or perhaps made in the same year of 1985 and so here we go. I wanted to make a somewhat deluxe entry of it. Maybe you seen it, maybe just know about, maybe not. Whatever the case here is...

Explorers 1.jpg

Those posters are so darn cool especially the one with space & the skateboard and bikes leaning on the fence.

Here is the wikipedia page ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorers_(film)

I have always liked this one. I believe My Grandma found it over at Rainbow Video or Verna's Mr. T's, it's possible We rented it from Movie Mogul. The film is directed by Joe Dante who did the Gremlins movies which Goonies hinted at in the trailer above. He also did a ton more like The Burbs, Innerspace, The Howling and Piranha, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Small Soldiers & Looney Tunes: Back in Action. He's always been good movie maker and he's in cahoots with Spielberg as well. The movie has tremendous effects & visuals an dit even has a Star Wars reference. It has your Dante regulars Dick Miller & Robert Pichardo and other familiar faces but the three boys in the film is played by a very young Ethan Hawk & Jason Presson but most noteworthy of the trio is River Phoenix which this was the first film I saw him in, he played a really good young science geek that really no kid character has been as intelligent in a film since IMO.

Explorers 2.jpg

You never hear anything about him anymore, it's always his brother Joaquin but oh yeah if you do it's usually about the Viper Club scenario with Samantha Mathis & Johnny Depp :roll: While I believe some of the story which the rest is bum-steer, there is way more that their not telling us. Stop doing this crap and let it be...let River go on as Wolfgang Müller & Young Indiana Jones because this year 2023 marks the 30th anniversary when that dreaded night on Halloween happen in 1993 which really it doesn't seem all that long ago :roll:

So here is the really cool teaser trailer.

Here is the actual trailer as you see much more of what the film has to offer.

Now the movie has an excellent soundtrack as well. I got the cassette tape long ago at My old house. I used to use My Walkman and listen to it countless times on the front porch. It was such good moments. It had a mixture of songs & score.

My favorite song on there was Less than Perfect by Gene Stashuk and Michael Becker. It has just a great beat and tune. I love the guitar sections, it sounds so 80s and it's such a fine example how the decade sounded :)

Now the score is arguably the funnest part of the soundtrack, I mean it's by Jerry Goldsmith. I had already established his sound and he was My favorite as I have expressed many times previously so I mean it was a total no brainer to get this soundtrack. We never could find it on record however but dang, so many years later in 2011 they released a special limited edition with every note that Goldsmith wrote for the film and I snagged it up as fast as I could cause I knew it was gonna sell out fast. I had been wanting such a release for a long time and there was no way I was going to let that slide. So here is two great cues that I have always loved by Jerry Goldsmith.

Sticks and Stones is so fun, it's calming and sounds so good. I love the strings and you can clearly tell it's Goldsmith, nobody sounded like him and he was so talented too.

Fast Getaway is a tremendous piece. At 32 seconds you can hear how wonderful the music is already and you can just envision the 80s and times of the past. Oh but at 3:39 listen to that spooky space music, I have always adored this :)

There's more classic that I love that I'll post in time. Later :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:58 am

I don't think I ever seen that. Or if I did see that in the 80s I honestly don't recall it.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:14 am

How about that, well I hope you were a little surprised there. It's really good and while the climax maybe a bit disappointing at first, its still super fun in the end. I really recommend it, it show us 80s kids how we were then, knowing today's generation, they'll most likely poke fun at it which is just wrong or it just may fly over their head :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Its a true classic and it's just a fun film :)

Ah, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. That was a great one. It came out in the great year of 1989. I believe this was the first film I saw when Rick Moranis was in a somewhat serious role & acting compared to his Ghostbusters. I had a small crush on Amy O'Neill. She wasn't hot, just good looking, nice and really that was all fine with Me ;) HISTK is directed by Joe Johnston who was really a special effects guy. He became a good director, so underrated. He directed 1995's Jumanji, Jurassic Park /// in 2001, 2010's The Wolf Man & Captain America in 2011. HISTK was quite big then, I remember seeing the trailers on TV & VHS but I never saw it at the show however I was able to get it on VHS soon after which had a Roger Rabbit short cartoon. During this time of 89 - 93 there was a really cool a trend that before you'd see a big Disney film at the show they would have a Roger Rabbit short, I only experienced one of these at the show and that was in 1990 before seeing Dick Tracy. Such a great time which I'll talk about that at a later date. So HISTK was a tremendous visual fest. The scene with the Ant & the Scorpion I always found exciting but sad but heck it's Disney, there's always something with them to make you have a tear in your eye or cry or something to make you uneasy :roll: The chemistry between all the characters is fine and dandy and the story is put together rather decent. It's really another classic that you don't hear much about any more. If you never saw it before and they have it on Disney+ I would see it however I doubt they'd put the Roger Rabbit short before it cause if they did you'd really get your moneys worth which look for this in your ZEN today PB ;)

So another aspect of the film is the music which was by the late great James Horner, it's such a wonderfully action packed classical-like piece. I have always loved it. They actually didn't give the film a soundtrack release on it's own cause it was shared by other films plus it had a bootleg, It's solo/main release wasn't until 2009, that's 20 years after it came out which I hate it they wait so darn long :roll: Oh and by the way, 1989's Ghostbusters II score still hasn't been released, only movie rips & bootlegs are online :x

So while I'm at it, here is the sequel called Honey, I Blew Up the Kid. It came out in 1992. It was a fairly good follow up but it didn't have magic that made the first one despite most of the original cast was it. I would see it also to continue the story :)

Now they released the score right away to coincide with this film. Now the music was by a different composer and that was by Bruce Broughton. I've talked about him many times previously, he did other great ones such as Silverado, Harry and the Hendersons, The Monster Squad, Wyatt Earp, Tombstone & Shadow Conspiracy but by listening to this you can hear his hints of his Tiny Toons motifs :)

Spoiler:
By the way, soon in My Marvel topic I will be showing a comic, there will be a Honey, I Blew Up the Kid ad there :shock:

More later :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:39 am

I remember those Roger Rabbit cartoons. I was a big RR fan. I saw HISTK in the theater back then. Good times.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:41 am

Well that is good :)

So there is Superman. He was really the first comic book super hero I knew but I believe I knew the George Reeves and vintage cartoon first. My Grandpa was a huge Glenn Ford fan, he really got the tears in his eyes just about every time he'd see the movie because of that scene :( This was truly the film that made John Williams a household name.

Remember when you were talking about Nuclear Man and I was going to make a heroes & villains topic then you made this topic and I'm like heck I could just do it here :?: Well have him in mind PB, if you keep up the Superman trailers soon you'll have your chance at post a lot of him to say why you liked him cause you only got 3 more trailers to go ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:08 pm

Took the kids to see this yesterday. It wasn't bad. It's not the best movie, but it had it's moments. There wasn't anything luagh out loud, but it was decent. There were even call back to the original Atari Mario and the Super Mario Bros. rap. Worth checking out.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:40 am

It looks like it it pays homage to a lot of Mario stuff, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong and I'm a bit surprised that they put in the Tanuki Mario (Raccoon Dog). It looks pretty cool, not sure if they could cross it over with the Sonic films since that was live action. Did your kids like it and laugh or is that just you saying that :?:

Now if I'd be seeing this at the show I would thankful and be thinking about all the characters and environments in the games I played over the decades and see who was & wasn't in film and how it looks. It appears to have a similar appearance from the late 90s/N64 days to recent Wii U days. It looks pretty good and authentic but to My understanding Yoshi's egg only made an appearance in a cut scene at the e d and their saving Wario & Waluigi for the sequel. You did stay during the end credits right :?: Like I said countless times before, I always stayed during the end credits just not for the music but also for the cut scenes. Countless times I see people being the same, getting up when credits are rolling and I'm like why do you people do this, your gonna miss the cut scenes :o Only 1 couple ever listened to Me over the years. I always did during the credits since I was a youngster. So again, did you stay for the cut scene PB :?:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:58 am

Yeah, they liked it well enough. There were a mid-credits and post credits scenes. I always google search just to make sure, they don't tell you what the scene is, only if there is one or not so you don't sit there for ten minutes for nothing. My guess was Yoshi or Bowser Jr, so it was neat to see the Yoshi egg (you don't actually see Yoshi, just the egg as it hatches and then you hear "Yoshi!" before the scene ends. I wouldn't say it was as good as Sonic, but it's still watchable.

Speaking of movies my kids liked, they really liked this when they were younger...

But IMO< the Peter Rabbit movies are better.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:18 am

Well at least they liked it cause it looked satisfying to Me. I don't think watching the credits with no cut scene is for nothing if your interested in certain things it offers. Of course the music is an important part because of several reasons. Whether it's a score or song or both there's a chance that you might have a new favorite, you just gotta let that chance happen. That happen to Me many times over the years with scores & songs that I wasn't familiar with or didn't get yet cause many times they release the music after the film is at the show. However its so cool when you listen to a score/soundtrack a few times on your stereo/PC/whatever, know what it is and sounds like then you go to the show and hear that music during the film & end credits on those big loud theater speakers, now that is so fun, it makes the movie even better :) I've seen countless people just walk out during the end credits when such great music is playing by any composer & artist. I've seen people even leave the theater when scores were by Williams, Elfman, SIlvesti & Zimmer...I wouldn't think anybody would ever walk out during a Star Wars end credits with all of that marvelous score is playing by Williams...such a shame :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Another thing I like to check out is where the locations where the movie was shot at, if animals were harmed and some other info :)

Well then it's obviously Yoshi. Bowser jr. may appear too but really I'd like for Wario & Waluigi to be the ones however it would be so cool if they bring Wart back and it would be more like the SMB2 game, that is still My favorite one :)

I never saw Hop with X-Men's James "Cyclops" Marsden but I did see the trailers before. I never saw Peter Rabbit either. Here's an interesting bit of trivia from Me...My Mom's ex-boyfriend Jasper's friend was actually named Peter Rabbit :? When I first met him in around 1989 I thought they were joking but nope, that was he real name. We went with him doing stuff many times long ago. I have no idea what he is doing now :roll:

I got sad news and good news so let's get done with the bad first...

Michael lerner RIP 1.jpg

I always likeed Michael Lerner, he was quite good. He was in many movies, the ones I recall right now is 1983's Strange Invaders & 1998's Godzilla & Tale of the Mummy.

Now for the good and continuing about Mario...

Mario 1.jpg
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:58 am

I saw that about both. My wife mentioned Lerner last night. I remember him from Elf, but he's one of those actors you saw in lots of things but never really knew his name. Good for Mario. They picked a good release week with kids off from school and not much else out for families.

I meant to do this one for Easter weekend, but then saw Mario Bros. so put that one up instead. Just a day late...

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions