Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:01 pm

Interesting, never made the connection though it's been years since I saw that film. What a cast. It was a darn good movie. Except for that Bryan Adams song you couldn't escape from back then.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:35 am

Yep, it indeed has a connection. It does have a big cast. I believe that was the first film I saw Morgan Freeman in (weird about the Morgans :roll: Yeah, sometimes songs are annoying in films especially when it's a serious film. It has happen countless times where I was so into the film because of the "actual score music" then the momentum has to stop due to a song that they thought was so necessary to put in there, I'm not saying that for every movie, it works with many films like Ghostbusters & Back to the Future but others not so much.

Ah, Sgt. Bilko, I haven't seen that one in ages. I saw that at the show in 1996, that was one heck of a big movie year. It had some dandy moments and had a good cast too. Alan SIlvestri did the score, here's a nice example of his brilliant serious & silly army theme to the film.

By the way, I posted part 2 of Alan SIlvestri the other day. Like I said in part 1 he'a always been a favorite of Mine. I mean for anybody that likes Back to the Future & Roger Rabbit, how can you not love those themes :?: In My Part 2 there is some great entries there and I hope you go to the post and tell Me what you think of his music. Do you like/not like his sound and all of that :)

http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/post46073.html#p46073
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:29 pm

I didn't care much for Sgt. Bilko. Saw it at the $1.50 show and was kind of bored. Not Steve Martin's best work.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:36 am

Police Academy was good. Not in My top 5 or 10 comedies but up there. Guttenberg was still a familiar face before he disappeared from the spotlight later on. Cool PB :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:17 am

I don't remember Police Academy as much as 2 and 3. I think those were the first two I remember. It's amazing to think they put out six movies in six consecutive years back then. Not sure I remember much about 6, but 4 (Citizen's on Patrol) and 5 (Assignment: Miami Beach) are films I actually saw in the theater, which is crazy to think because I remember our grandma dropping me and my sister off at the theater alone to see them, so I would've been 9 then 10, and my sister 10 then 11. Not sure I would do that with my kids, but it was a different time.

Speaking of 1987, and films I saw in the theater....

Forgive me if I covered Disorderlies already (we're 70+ pages into this) and if I told these stories already, but who wants story time with Adam Cole, er PB?

I don't remember what possessed us to see Disorderlies. Maybe I asked to see it, maybe my grandma saw the Three Stooges homage and thought we'd like it, but I have fond memories of the film. I remember the roller-skating scene because back then we frequently went to the rink (another place my grandma would drop us off at).

I'd kind of forgotten about the film for many years, then when I was a teenager, K-Mart and Big Lots started doing those Thanksgiving Day sales, and I remember Big Lots advertised $1 DVDs. This was back when DVDs were still fairly new and expensive, so a $1 was well worth going out. I remember going through the big bin and coming across Disorderlies and it was like finding an old friend. I snatched up a copy for me and one for my sister for Christmas and we both had a laugh when she opened it because it was something we probably hadn't seen or thought much about in the decade prior.

And then I actually came across it a year or two ago on a digital antenna channel. If you don't own a digital antenna you're missing out. You'll come across some of the oddest or strangest things on free over-the-air TV. Stuff you might have forgotten existed or never even knew existed. I've watched old shows I haven't seen in decades like Hunter, The Benny Hill Show, The Fantastic Four (1970s cartoon with HERBIE), and Captain Power and the Slider's of the Future.

Anyway, what made me think of Disordlies is last Friday my son wanted to go to Gamestop, and on the way home, on the Sirius XM 80's channel, they played this....

And it had been ages since I'd heard that song. For some reason, I'd always thought it came out for the movie, but it actually came out a year later in 1988. I was surprised by the soundtrack because it has a song by Banarama and Bon Jovi. I would not have pegged Bon Jovi for this, I'm not sure if the song is in the movie but Bon Jovi went on to be on several soundtracks in later years, so maybe this was their launching point.
\
Sadly, there's only a Fat Boy with us today, as Darren Robinson passed in 1995, and Prince Markie Dee died almost a year ago on February 18th.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:13 am

Yeah, back then Holliweird had a better consistent way of putting out sequels and stuff. That's a nice story there. I'd only do that if its a good neighborhood, you know the people there and if your kids knows how these times are and what's around them at all times. Even in My later years I'd tell My Grandma that I'm going to the show to see whatever movies and she'd still tell Me to be careful and be aware at all times especially in the rest room.

I vaguely got into the Fat Boys. The song & music video was fun. They were pretty cool and heck of a lot better than the black stuff that would come later especially in recent times cause they changed it to really vulgar & ruff stuff that has no meaning excpet gang banging & symbolism :roll: Sad there's only one of'em left. That's some nice stories you have there PB :D
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:59 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:22 am

Ah Dragnet, that was a good one. Dan & Tom made a good paring here. Ira Newborn, the composer who made the Naked Gun scores & theme did this too. Cool PB :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:24 pm

Interesting fact. Think Dragnet has one of the more easily recognizable themes. Just the facts, ma'am.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:13 am

That is so indeed ;)

Joe vs. The Volcano was ok, the plot isn't My kind and the film is not My fave. It had its moment however. Seeing the trailer reminded how Cast Away looked like some of the scenes there so Tom Hanks was an obvious choice for the part.

NOTE: I got dibs on the Burbs, that' My fave Hanks film and one of My faves overall, I'll do a special on that at a later date ;)

The nice theme by Alan Silvestri.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions