Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:57 am

Interesting. Would've never known there was a European version. What was the reasoning for the difference? I know nowadays they have to change things to not piss off China.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:14 am

OK, in short the reasoning was that Golan-Globus/Cannon wanted an American movie. they felt it was too European so the film was delayed a year from its original release date in 86 instead of 85 with different score, editing and so forth. If you have a chance to see the versions back to back you'll see the different and all that. Yes I know all about the China stuff :roll:

Ah, Clash of the Titans, the last classic with Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion creatures. It was a great film. I loved all those classic Harryhausen films liked Jason and the Argonauts, Sinbad, all of that. cool PB ;)

My Suburban Commando write up is coming very soon, it's gonna be bigger than No Holds Barred so get ready to having a good time reading & seeing it from beginning to end :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:39 am

So here we go with My Suburban Commando presentation. The film came out in 1991. It was a big movie year with the likes of many that I saw at the show like Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country, The Addams Family, TMNT 2: The Secret of the Ooze, The Rocketeer, Stone Cold, Showdown in Little China, Out for Justice, Ricochet, Double Impact, Cape Fear, Freddy's Dead, Highlander 2, Eve of Destruction, Trancers II, K2, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and so much more. I saw Backdraft at the show with My Grandparents cause We were all big Kurt Russell fans plus it looked great. I loved the year 1991, it was one of the last great years for most of everything and it was a great year in the WWF and wresting as a whole. Suburban Commando was at theaters, My Grandparents took Me to the show and we saw it together because they knew I wanted to see it bad and I loved Hulk Hogan plus they were too were big wresting fans as well, I remember that like it was last week. It's one of My faves and betch'ya I have watched it almost as much as No Holds Barred from 89 which is like literally dozens of times! This was the only time I saw a Hogan movie on the big screen unless you count that cameo he made in 1996's Spyhard right before his shocking heel turn and joining the nWo in WCW. I remember seeing little Joey E. from school whom was a friend of Mine for a while. For some reason when I was a youngster he reminded Me of Macho Man & Jacques Rougeau. I can't recall if I told him the next day at school or not that I saw him at the Kenrick seeing Suburban Commando or not. I know I brought My WWF Magazines for show & tell more than once but out of the whole class nobody was really interested, even then people were flaky and especially about wrestling. I only had 1 friend that I have spoke about in My WWF 91 House Show and that was Chris. He loved The Undertaker but even so, I am still an outlier now as I was then. So here we go with My big presentational write up of Suburban Commando, one of last great films of its kind :!:

Suburban Commando VHS Intro: You'll see more of this near the climax of the showcase :)

NOTE: I put together most of these pics :)

So its about Shep Ramsey (Hulk Hogan), an interstellar galactic hero who crashes on Earth, tries to blend in and rents an apartment from the Wilcox Family (Christopher Lloyd & Shelley Duvall and tries to avoid being tracked by Bounty Hunters & the evil General Suitor :!:

THE CAST!

So of course we have the aforementioned Hulk Hogan, the real life WWF superstar whom was just in No holds Barred in 1989. I found him to be quite good, not as emotional as his Rip character but still good. Ah, one of My favorite actors of all-time...Christopher Lloyd. After seeing him in Star trek 3: The Search for Spock as a Klingnon was great but I just loved him as Doc Brown in the Back to the Future Trilogy, such a tremendously over the top character and of course his Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit was also great. During the same year as Suburban Commando in 91 he was wonderful as Uncle Fester in the fantastic Addams Family. In all My years I have only seen 1 person that is similar in a way to "Macho Man" Randy Savage's persona and that was Christopher LLoyd :!: We also have Shelley Duvall from Stephen King's The Shinning. I have always found her deceivingly cute & pretty and she is quite good here. Oh boy, he is only in it for a moment as a Commander but great British actor Christopher Neame is present. I have always really liked him, he was briefly in 1989's Ghostbusters II and in 1993 he would play a nearly unbeatable demon in Chuck Norris' Hellbound and also star in the 1997 classic video game Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II as the Dark Jedi Jerec which IMO is one of the best video games of ever, of all-time. Also we have the main villain played by late great William Ball, a great war vet character play by legendary Jack Elam. Of course the guy you love to hate is played by comedian Larry Miller. Also we have very underrated actress Jo Ann Dearing who turns out to be Shep's love interest and also legendary UK actor Roy Dotrice as Shep's boss in a very brief yet crucial role.

Of course the movie wouldn't be complete if it didn't have "the other big men" and other wrestlers. We have Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake as one of General Suitor's Soldiers in a very quick, if you blink you'll miss him cameo (he also did many stunts in the film too) :o Then we actually have THE UNDERTAKER in his first motion picture role as a Bounty Hunter named Hutch. I didn't know he was going to be in the film, they never hyped it, I was just so excited about that :shock: His Bounty Hunter partner is Knuckles played by late great actor big man Tony Longo :!:

Also we have a few other "big man" characters in the film that confronts Shep. I have always thought that these guys resembles Earthquake, "The Brooklyn Brawler" Steve Lombardi, "Pretty" Paul Roma/"Superfly" Jimmy Snuka and Magnum T.A./Brian Libby :batsmile:

SCENE SELECTION!

I have always loved how homely the setting, surrounding & atmosphere and how family-friendly the movie is which really the film has a little bit of just about everything you could want. You can't say that much in later years :roll: Here is some great & fun scenes including Shep gonna get the Mail Man and him being part of the Wilcox Family. Shep is trying to help a MIME get out of his force field (My Grandma MiMi loved the 3 MIME scenes) and of course Shep playing in the Arcade room SEGA'S After Burner :!:

Of course it was awesome seeing Hogan & LLoyd together at any point of the movie but also what was REALLY AWESOME and quite surprising is that Hogan's character pulled out a P.K.E Meter from GHOSTBUSTERS :? I was like whoa, what the heck :batshock: :wwhuh: :smgasp:

However, My favorite big scene is one big one that happens right after the other and it's really some of the funniest & craziest part of any movie :!: Shep is offered by Charlie's son Mark & his friends if he can ride a skateboard. After he falls off it cracking the sidewalk and fails, one of the kids says his Mom could stay on it longer. Shep isn't taking that easy so he throws the skateboard in the air launching it into outer space literally he scares off the kids with his classic Hogan Expression....

then Col. Dustin 'Dusty' McHowell says "great strength, piss-ass balers"! He introduces himself to Shep and they are now friends. Even though they are worlds apart they can relate like their in the same squad. I really love this scene, its quite heartwarming :)

Then here comes Charlie from work and Col. Dusty says it's time for the Charlie Wilcox Show and laughs. As usual his daily probs are with the hot rod neighbors. Shep sees that isn't right and moves their custom rides out of the way so he can get in his own driveway now. Shep is confronted by the big guys and is threatened by them if there is one ity-bity scratch on'em and he wonders "what kind of world is this :?:

Then Shep becomes a Savior because the oblivious Camero ridin' dudes aren't watching where their going and is going to hit the kid. Shep saves Mark Wilcox and nearly ends their lives but Charlie intervenes and stops him but the the same can't be said for their fast car :!:

WHAT Suburban Commando OFFERS:

Suburban Commando has just about everything you'd want so here is some great examples. Its purely an inspirational film at first with a scene reminiscent of Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope and other classic 80s sci-films with a huge spaceship and its being ruled by the evil villain General Suitor!

He has his goons & soldiers and even skull trophy room :shock: He abducts the president and while our hero is being held at bay he actually lets the prez attack the bad guy and to get killed by the big surprise of him actually being a MUTANT which is really a first here :o Shep escapes in his pod and blows up the ship and lands on EARTH...he HATES EARTHLINGS :!: We have the classic Commander (Neame) scene recruiting BOUNTY HUNTERS :batsmile:

If you ever wanted to see Hulk Hogan fight a monster or a big alien, well Suburban Commando has that too because he battles the Mutant General Suitor in a good but fast paced encounter :!:

THE BIG ONE WE ALL WAITED FOR!

So in the film, Shep has a big fight with Hutch the Bounty Hunter. This was the first time EVER we saw Hulk Hogan vs. The Undertaker cause for months upon months everybody including Me & My Family wondered how it would be and then We saw this :!:

This would actually become a reality however in November 91 when the two would collide at the WWF Survivor Series 91 with the Phenom beating Hogan and winning the world title thanks to interference from the "Nature Boy" Ric Flair. A special event called This Tuesday in Texas would occur the following week however due to President Jack Tunney ordering the rematch and reclaiming the belt but it would be overturned thus making the WWF Royal Rumble 92 the first ever for the vacated Federation Championship which eventually Hogan would eliminate The Undertaker but he would be gone by the heel turn of Sid Justice and making former-fellow Four Horsemen Flair to win the big battle royal spawning the huge double main event at WWF Wrestlemania 8 Hogan vs. Sid & Flair vs. Macho which was all a tremendously fun time :batsmile:

No Holds Barred - Suburban Commando Connection: So both films obviously have wrestlers in'em. No Holds Barred had Zeus as a major villain and later on the WWF would bring this to an actual real life feud as I had presented in My No Holds Barred write up. Suburban Commando did a similar feat here with The Undertaker's Hutch vs. Hogan's Shep but I feel it didn't match up with the former however simply because there was no hype for it however months later Hulk Hogan & The Undertaker would encounter each other and have their feud. Amazing how history repeats itself isn't it :? :?:

I know PB already posted it but i'm doing it too so here is the classic TRAILER :!:

OK, now if you have the original VHS then you already know this is actually how it starts out with "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan as he is promoting his new movie Suburban Commando plus he is also promoting the new WWF Wrestling Challenge Game.

So also during this good time as seen above, The Hulkster was promoting his Hotline as I noted in My special WWF House Show 91 as well as in My Yo, Did You Know topic that I actually called it once. I was only about 10 or so and yes I did what Hogan said and asked for My Parents permission which in this case it was My Grandparents. It was fun but as you just heard him say in the video, it was quite expensive especially if you stayed on there till the climax. Even though it was a fun scheme and it was something cool to do and more money for companies to get more moolah, I miss those days really as the web & this digital age really took the fun out things like this since it's big boom :roll: I remember on WWF Prime Time Wrestling seeing commercials of Right Guard featuring Hogan and his famous quote: "Anything less would be uncivilized". He would later in 96 during his early nWo days say this after seeing Nash beat up Macho Man with a Slim Jim :o

Of course during most of the year it was quite patriotic basically since the Summer of 1990. When Sgt. Slaughter came back at WWF SummerSlam 90, turned heel, became a shockingly major villain, beat the Ultimate Warrior at the WWF Royal Rumble 91 thanks to the "Macho King" Randy Savage & "Sensational" Queen Sherri and became the new World Wrestling Federation Champion, it was up to Hulk Hogan to end this. He defeated him at Wrestlemania 7 in a great match for the title, however the feud wasn't done as Slaughter & General Adnan would bring in Colonel Mustafa (The Iron Sheik) thus making their-selves the Triangle of Terror. Hogan would be in trouble so after The Ultimate Warrior retired "Macho King" Randy Savage at WM7 making him see the light to become "Macho Man" Randy Savage and marry his beloved Miss Elizabeth at SummerSlam 91 in the Match Made in Heaven while The Warrior would be recruited by Hogan to face The Triangle of Terror in the Match Made in Hell while WCW's Sid Viscous debuts as Sid Justice as a special guest referee that will make sure "Justice" will be served :!:

TOYS & GAMES

You'd think with a major movie like this especially when kids were still kids playing with toys and having dreams of their heroes, New Line Cinema & WWF would have had a toyline of some kind to go with the movie but they didn't. I mean Hasbro was still going strong with their great WWF Action Figures, they could have had a special mail away [b]Shep Ramsey or something. Mattel could have done something too, anybody at all but nobody took the opportunity which has always been a bummer for Me. However, there was a Suburban Commando Mutated/Mutant General Suitor Model by Screamin' Products, Inc. in 1991. Models were never My thing, I never had the patience to put them together much less paint them. It appears this piece is quite screen accurate, is 1/4 scale which is nearly 2 feet tall. It goes for big buck on eBay if you want the only type of figure they ever made for the film.

Suburban Commando Video Game: You'd think that they would release the video game when it came out in 1991 to coincide with the film but nope, Alternative Software launched it in 1993 for the Amiga, Commodore 64, DOS systems and no major video game console likes NES, SNES & Sega Genesis. I never got a chance to play it but it looked fun. It was in the style of Sega's Ghostbusters, SNES's Addams Family among others. Here is a sample pic of it :)

Suburban Commando & Mr. Nanny: So Hogan had a deal with New Line Cinema since 89's No Holds Barred. Hogan's Suburban Commando again by New Line. Ted Turner would soon acquire it. Hogan left the WWF in 92, come back a year later in 93 all trimmed up, leave and do the film Mr. Nanny (which sometimes it's like is this really Hulk Hogan :?. You guessed it this was also New Line but it was also co-produced by Turner Home Entertainment. A year later he made a deal with Turner & WCW. I find it something else how Hogan's movie career led him to dump WWF and lead him to WCW. Its really astounding to Me even at this very minute thinking & typing about it even though this was nearly 30 years ago :o

So all in all Suburban Commando is a fantastic film. If you never seen I seriously recommend it as It was the last film of classic 6 foot 8, 300 pound frame of Hogan and this was one of the last classic films of the kind with a tremendously underrated musical score by David Michael Frank that still hasn't been released and with a good Soundtrack as well. I own the rare soundtrack on CD as well as the VHS & DVD too!

So that's it, I hope you liked My write up of Suburban Commando and hope you have seen it from the beginning as well cause this was quite special. We shall see what I do next, until then :batsmile:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:54 pm

I almost feel like I don't need to see it after reading that write up, lol. Never knew the Undertaker was in it. I was 13 by then and really didn't have much interest in Hogan or the WWF really. I watched some of the big PPVs still,but didn't really follow it as much as I did in the 80s. Never knew there was a video game, either. They really went all out.

If you needed a scuzzy but unthreatening villain, it seemed like Larry Miller was always that guy, lol. He really got around.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:14 pm

Yeah, shame you did. I wanted to show it and I got really excited and into it while I was doing it. Oh I would see it anyway, even though I feel I did a good job, I think anybody that sees My showcase should still see the film, free or otherwise. That maybe but I still still think they missed an opportunity with not having figures by Hasbro or anybody for that matter. Yes, like I said, Larry Miller is the guy you'd love to hate ;)

Thanks for your reply PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:20 am

So getting back on track here in this topic...NOTE: I added some promotional & event videos to My No Holds Barred special write up if ya wanna watch'em on page 11, it's really cool ;)

OK, I really didn't say much about 1985's The Neverending Story that you posted earlier before PB :)

First, here is the song, My Grandma loved this!

OK, IMO it is one of the greatest films. It's also one of the saddest. I used to watch it all the time when I was a youngster and I cried & cried during some of the scenes. In fact I still do :( I loved the special effects. The film has some of the best child actors and the 2 boys I liked, I never once ever thought they were annoying and they are still to this very moment My favorite kids from any film because of that. Atreyu was such a great young hero :!:

The movie has one of the most powerful scenes you could ever watch. It's quite scary too. I find it amazing that the 2 Sphinxes has large boobs and are depicted that way for a kids film :shock: I didn't notice women/female form till I was older but watching this still makes Me think of how different we think when we were kids of the 80s. Let's face it, it was a pretty dark film for the time and really it still is. The sequel were ok and more kid friendly than the first one. Listen to the music too, its one of the most haunting cues and matches the film so good by Giorgio Moroder, I noticed the film's music the first time I saw it :)

More coming soon ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:02 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:47 am

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:21 am

Excalibur was good, it was decent and possibly one of the most underrated of the sword & sorcery fantasy films of the 80s.

Now I am a huge MOTU movie fan. I need not to explain it any further because back in 2013 I made a HUGE topic that explained everything visually + I just updated it because I when I saw you posted this I thought I'll go ahead and post there and say a little somethin'. I made 5 pages worth of incredible visuals and again this was in 2013. Back then Acid said I'm the biggest MOTU fan he knows and yes I am quite a big one, this was not too long after he recruited Me from the Matty Board. I saw you never posted in My MOTU, in fact nobody has since 2014 which is really sad that nobody else searched or anything :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: So whenever you have a while to yourself or in spurts cause there's no rush that you gotta do it all in one day, just pretend it's like a magazine and go there and check it out PB :) ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/he-man-the-masters-of-the-universe/motu-1987-movie-the-official-ultimate-thread-tons-of-pics-t152.html
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby AcidDragon » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:49 pm

Oh yeah, gotta watch me some Excalibur again. It's been years. He-man, too. The new Skeletor movie figure dropped not long ago and it looks great.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions