Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:59 pm

I remember being excited for The Super as a kid because of My Cousin Vinny and Home Alone. I remember liking it but haven't seen it in ages, so no idea how it holds up.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:40 am

Well that is cool, the trailer looked pretty good so I said it did ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:47 am

Seemed like the next choice...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:05 am

Yep, sure did. Again this was a great film. I believe this was Jennifer Connelly's first big role. Its funny as great looking as was here and even now, she never did anything for Me, I found her entertaining and that's just about it. I find that kinda weird. Also like I said before, I so love the practical effects Muppets or otherwise rather than today's overblown CGI and this film is a great example of that!
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:42 am

I can't really say I've paid attention to her career much, but I remember seeing her in The Hulk and thinking she was one of those people like Alfonso Ribiero that doesn't seem to age.

I think we're going to finish the month off with 80s fantasies before we hit the season of the witch.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:54 am

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:14 am

Ah the Neverending Story. One of the best of the 80s. It has such a tremendous soundtrack. I have seen the film a lot but darn it is so darn sad with Artax :( I cry every time I see it. The first gate of the Sphinxes is so haunting, its one of the most chilling scenes ever IMO :!:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:51 am

Oh Man Legend. this is one of My most cherished movies ever. I have a ton to say about it, I might post a big write up on it in the future. I will say this that I loved Tim Curry as Darkness. One huge crucial fact is there is 2 versions of it: An American version and International version which both have different musical scores. I own the special DVD with them on there. Long story short. Ridley Scott's original version wasn't good enough for Golan-Globus/Canon & Universal. So he had to redo it. The International version was about 2 hours and had Jerry Goldsmith's epic & wondrous score in 1985 and the US version was less than 1:30 and had a score & soundtrack by Tangerine Dream that was also fantastic in 1986. This was huge during the early 2000s when they released the special DVD. They explained everything there. Its truly one of the most extraordinary films ever so again, one day I might elaborate on this further in a proper write up :)

Yep spooky time is almost here. Suburban Commando is coming soon then we'll see what's next ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:09 pm

Interesting. I had no idea there's a longer version. What's added storywise?
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:27 am

Oh there's a lot. I wouldn't say there's a ton that adds to the story but it helps a lot of character development. If you have seen the US movie and are familiar with it right off the bat then you'll notice things right away. I had already seen it tons of times before I got the DVD in the early 2000s so the European version was quite new and fresh too Me despite I knew the film from beginning to end by heart. This is the way it was back then because it was a major release for America. For example there is extended scenes with Lili & Jack. Nell's Cottage has a big additional scene. The Lord of Darkness isn't seen till the near the end of the film during Lili's seduction unlike the US version where he is actually the first character we are introduced too. To clear it up Darkness is the villain of the movie but he isn't the true Devil, he is only his son. Another big factor is that the Lili character SINGS (Mia Sara actually sings it!) a lot in the film in the beginning with a British type song that Jerry Goldsmith wrote. There is a ton of additional scenes that are included and even alternate endings but there is alternate parts in the European edition that I still have mixed emotions about. For example, Lucifer's or Satan's voice sounds really scary in the US version but in the European version he just sounds like one the Elves or Goblins in the film. It is amazing that Tangerine Dream is a German group & Jerry Goldsmith is American yet their great music is for the opposite releases.

I am going to provide 2 examples of what I mean here. BOTH scenes are from Lili's Dress Waltz & Seduction. Its one of My most fave scenes of both versions of the film. I'm only going to post these so I ain't goin' any further than this now so FOLLOW ME HERE :!:

1986 US VERSION: Here is Lili being tempted with The Dancing Black Dress Entity. Right away you notice Tangerine Dream's score, its one of the most magical pieces ever heard! Now at 0:20 into it listen to the voice say "Make Her One of Us". That is Lucifer or Satan saying this and it is way different than the Goblin-esqe voice in the original version. I fInd this one more emotional simply because its the one I grew up with from 86 and watched & listened to it tons of times before the Euro release score in the late 90s. My Grandma loved Tangerine Dream, she loved this music!

1985 EUROPEAN VERSION: Here is the scene with Jerry Goldsmith's score, he used a huge 80 piece orchestra and a 20 person CHOIR :!: That was a lot for them days, he was a master. Its a huge score too, over an hour which I have listened to so much. Now at 0:40 listen to Lucifer or Satan say "Make Her One of Us". The voice sounds like a Goblin or an Elf that is in the film. Notice the additional dance scene of 1:50 - 2:20. It's a big difference here.

Sadly I got the DVD a year or so later after My Grandpa past, he never got to see the other version nor the comparisons, he and I watched the US on My VHS tape countless times together :( So there is a small comparison. I'd watch them clips I provided at least a couple times each to see & hear the the "true" differences. I have established the whole 9 of the film long ago. I you know Ridley Scott like I do then unfortunately you'll get really mad at how he does his movies. He's one of the best directors there is and music is such an important part of his creativeness thus why he stuck with Goldsmith from his previous Alien film in 1979 which it too has a special edition as well. I got really irked how he handled Prometheus on 2012 which I will get to them in time :x I hope that answered your question PB. Thoughts? Like I said, it was huge for Me back then and its still a big one today too. I may continue more on this on a much larger presentation at a later time but soon in My Odds & Ends I'm gonna have a big Movie Rental showcase that is quite crucial to Me and I'm gonna feature My Legend VHS tape, Later :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions