Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:31 am

Yep, Loaded Weapon is such a classic. Oh boy the two brothers together in a good film, I liked both of'em. Estevez went downhill after M:I 1996 then Sheen went nuts. I loved their daddy Martin too, their uncle Joe was pretty good. Oh Keith David is always great :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:54 am

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:13 am

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:42 am

Ah yes, the 2 films that made Bill Murray & Sean Astin their big starts. These movies were pretty good. Amazing Stripes came out the same year I was born. Also amazing 2 Ghostbusters in it and the composer Elmer Bernstein did the music music for GBs as well :o Bernstein is a legend but also Rudy is approaching it's 30th anniversary and it's great score was also composed by a Legend and that was Jerry Goldsmith and yes, there is many comedian legends in Stripes too :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:25 am

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:34 am

Oh gosh the Cannonball Run, it was a decent film. This is the only film I could tell ya what Burt Reynolds was in. I was never a fan. Man, Farrah Fawcett was pretty good. I was never a fan of her either but she made a good example of how women could be in the 70s how they would become in the 80s which many would be so sweet ;) :lol: that Roger Moore isn't 007 but himself. Dom DeLuise was pretty good too. Oh now I liked Adrienne Barbeau, she was very good ;) Cool PB ;)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:25 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:51 am

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:37 am

I never saw Office Space, it never interested Me. I liked McGinley but anything that Aniston is in is a turnoff really, I just never could get in much about her. Only thing I ever liked with her was the Derailed film. Ah, now Airplane is a classic. It had so many great moments. The sequel was great too :!: I liked Naked Gun more but Airplane is still great :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:14 am

OK, so here we go with one of the best wrestling films ever made and one of My most favorite movies of ever of all-time which is 1989's NO HOLDS BARRED :!: It was such an epic event when they were promoting the film live on WWF programming such as WWF Superstars of Wrestling, WWF Wrestling Challenge and of course WWF Prime Time Wrestling. As I had expressed earlier on My origins of how I knew Hulk Hogan with Rocky III and so on, I knew Hogan for a while now as well as WWF. I only knew the monstrous villain whom was Hogan's equal in size and in toughness whom was basically "Anti Hulk Hogan" from his great cool scenes from John Candy's 1986 ARMED & DANGEROUS, coincidentally both films are by RCA Columbia, yes I just don't keep track with years, actors, composers, stats, toy companies and such but I also always keep track with movie companies as well. I loved it during My childhood & teenage years. 1989 wasn't just the last year of the 80s, it was a great year in a lot of stuff such as MLB, Boxing and of course Video Games but it was truly on of the last years where Wrestling seemed as a sport as it had some truly iconic moments however it was a tremendous movie year as well with Ghostbusters II, Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Back to the Future Part II, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Burbs, Who's Harry Crumb, Blind Fury, Kickboxer & Cyborg, The Punisher, The Return of Swamp Thing, The Abyss, Leviathan, Deep Star Six, Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhatten, Halloween Part 5, Warlock, Hider in the House, Shocker, The Fly II, Godzilla vs. Biollante and so much more. No Holds Barred just added even more excitement here. So I had already established Hogan as one of My early heroes. He along with others such as Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse 'The Body" Ventura, Carl Weathers, Mr. T, Chuck Norris & Bruce Lee were already known by Me but new guys were on the horizon such as Jean-Claude Van Damme & Steven Seagal but who really didn't make it to true stardom when it came to be an action hero in movies :? Why it was Hulk Hogan and he made it just in time before the close of the decade and while Hulkamania was still truly in it's prime. So ever since I have added him to My action heroes list and his No Holds Barred film to the list of great fighting, heroic action films as well :batsmile:

I remember seeing the VHS box over at Vernna's Mr T's and My Grandma MiMi renting it for Me when it first came out, look for a special about that in the future :!:

All of these pics that you see here in this presentation is put together by Me but credit goes to the respected sources.

The Cast: So it has a nice cast. Hogan stars as Rip Thomas whom is a fictional WWF character whom strongly resembles "American Made" Hulk Hogan from years prior and is the World Wrestling Federation Champion. We have his love interest Sammantha played by the classy hot Joan Severance who would be in sultry stuff such as being The Black Scorpion, I love her expressions especially when she's arguing with Mr. Brell. We have the antagonist Mr. Brell played by the six foot five Kurt Fuller who was also a jerk in Ghostbusters II during this same year of 1989. Of course we have the the villain & monster Zeus played by huge man actor Tom "Tiny" Lister jr. who was in stuff like Armed and Dangerous & Matlock. Oh man, when the movie begins we are treated to a very big inspiration of a "real life" WWF event. When we first are introduced to Rip, we then see his opponent whom is also fictional called Jake Bullet. He is played none other by Bill Eadie aka Ax of Demolition. When I saw him I knew who he was right away, I just knew it was him. I was quite familiar with him cause Demolition was My favorite team of the time before they left the WWF a couple years later. However, the commentators is played by their-selves which was Jesse "The Body" Ventura & "Mean" Gene Okerlund I kinda flipped out when I first saw them, I didn't expect that. Also playing himself is the referee, the late great Joey Marella (Gorilla Monsoon's son) was his usual in this match. Mark Pellegrino plays Rip's little brother, you may know him from a lot including 2003's The Hunted which was a terrific film and one of My faves.

Now here is something very crucial and has been ever since 1996 or at least for Me. I have spoken about this in My Batman & Robin & Dark Knight write ups. One of the many foes that Zeus faces in the film is Lugwrentch Perkins played by late great wrestler Jeep Swenson. They would fight each other here in 1989 then in early 1996 BOTH make their return to wrestling in WCW as Z-Gangsta & "The Final/Ultimate" Solution and join the Dungeon of Doom & the Alliance to Destroy Hulkamania :o The next year in 1997 Jeep would play Bane in Batman & Robin and then in 2008 Lister jr. would play a Convict in The Dark Knight. I have always found this strange and unfortunately both have left this world :( Next we have Stan "The Lariat" Hansen as Neanderthal who in one of the regulars at the No Count Bar and it's top champion. I always loved his character and thought he was so funny. Hardcore big man Jos LeDuc plays a big headbanger here whom is a big player at the tavern. There is various other big brawlers here as well as a deceivingly nice looking but gross waitress that is Neanderthal's Sister plus character actors Charles Levin & David Paymer who plays Brell's Lackeys Ordway & Unger. I thought it was weird that Ordway slightly resembled Vince McMahon. Legendary Bill Henderson plays Rips's Trainer Charlie. There is a ton more people, even Howard Finkle plays himself in the beginning of the film :shock:

The music score was by Jim Johnston. He was the composer for most if not ALL of your classic WWF themes before they "had to" ditch the concept that almost every wrestler comes out to songs especially that is mostly rap that we are going thru even at this very moment. I have always put him inline with actual movie composers because I saw no difference and and at such a young age I could relate to hearing wrestling themes because there wasn't much dissimilarity. No Holds Barred's executive producers are of course Vinnie Mac and even The Hulkster himself. They had big say for the film and put it together rather nicely. For years and years I have always said to people watch the credits in movies & TV shows to see who's in it, did the music and so forth but very, I mean very rarely do they ever listen to Me then they find out what they missed by not doing so :roll:

I don't like it in films when women are hit and I really diliked the scene when Mr. Brell slapped Samantha. It was good however when his goons saw what a kind of a man he "really was". Hogan is no Thunderlips here but still, he got a really nice woman to love :batsmile:

No Holds Barred actually predates WCW's Ted Turner & Eric Bischoff Regime in the 90s. Mr. Brell whom is the owner of the World Television Network - WTN wants Rip because as he said "this sells and this is what people want" and "this is what I WANT" and would create his own big show called the Battle of the Tough Guys. Its a realistic POV because in the film Rip is under contract in the WWF as it follows when Vinnie Mac took over from his dad, he put his talent under contracts and the days of independent contractors was over. Well Brell's WTN was like real life's TNT and Turner & Bischoff would try to get all of the big names when they got Ric Flair back in 93, got Hulk Hogan and eventually Macho Man in 94, Lex Luger in 95 so many more and for most of the time after this they were successful...we would know this to become as The Monday Night Wars and WCW making the actual & true Attitude Era happen in 1996 with the nWo :shock:

So here is a brief look at the movie in a "Visual Story" including the Rip's big fight and infamous "Dukey" Scene :o I loved Zeus' reveal & entrance, one of the best scenes ever of the kind and I love the eye connection between Zeus & Brell :!:

I loved the scene of Hogan's emotion towards the well-being for his brother. Its a scene very few if anybody ever gives credit too :roll: After Rip defeats Zeus, it was a very apropos climax and how Mr. Brell get's his..."live in the NETWORK", "DIE in the NETWORK" :!:

In Conclusion: I know the film get's picked on by many people of My generation and especially this generation but they can laugh in bad taste, think negative and do all that. These times was special and I was really excited for it when I was a youngster and every time I watched it, it reminds Me of how those classic times just not in wrestling but life in general and how today's stuff is such a far cry from it. No Holds Barred was one of the last great action films of the 80s and basically of the good'ole days before they decided to call it quits come around 1992 or so. NHB will always have a major part with Me :batsmile:

So here is the Trailers.

The original 1989 theatrical version...

and here is the rather recent WWE version from 2014. They had the whole thing planned as Hulk Hogan was leaving TNA and making his grand return to WWE in February of 2014. When I saw the trailer I was excited and I had to get it from Amazon immediately :!:

The No Holds Barred Theme, if you know Jim Johnston's other classic WWF stuff from the 80s & 90s then you can clearly tell it's him and that he's playing that great guitar cause he was a natural :!:

Again, Jim Johnston's music is great and his Zeus Theme was too. I have always loved it :)

Zeus in REAL LIFE WWF: It was amazing that they did this. Only TNA did this with the video game character Suicide decades later. Here he is with the Million Dollar Team against the Hulkamaniacs at one of My most favorite WWF Survivor Series events and notice that Ax of Demolition is with Hogan, he just fought him in No Holds Barred :o

Of course that wasn't all, before that "The Immortal Hulk Hogan" & Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake vs. "The Macho King" Randy Savage & "The Human Wrecking Machine" Zeus with "Sensational Queen" Sherri fought at WWF SummerSlam 89 as well as in a Steel Cage for WWF Supertape Vol. 1 - 1990 :!:

They made a Special combo PPV event out of this, the PPV innovator Vinnie Mac tried to do as much as he could with this which this awesome from an awesome time, IMO nothing in wrestling has surpassed something of this magnitude :!:

Of course it wouldn't be complete is "The Immortal One" didn't promote his own film, he was so good during these days :!:

As a special bonus, on WWF Superstars, Zeus himself Talks @ 9:00 into the program, it was one of his only appearances on the mic like this in real life WWF.

His time in the WWF wasn't the only federation he wrestled in as "The Human Wrecking Machine Zeus, he went down to Puerto Rico to the World Wrestling Council's - WWC's special Anniversary Show of 1990 which was their version of Wrestlemania. I loved this promotion, it was owned by Carlos Colon & Gorilla Monsoon and had a working relationship with the WWF. Zeus fought Abdullah the Butcher in epic brawl. We only saw him fight 400 hundred pounders in No Holds Barred but now we're seeing it in a actual real life event :!:

So that's it, I hope you enjoyed My take of No holds Barred. Soon, look for a bit more of No Holds Barred + WWF Supertape Vol. 1990 in an extremely imperative showcase in My Odds & Ends that will focus on My Glory Days of Movie Rentals and all of their locations...I have talked about it countless times in the past as it's been building up so much it will arguably be the most important presentation I have ever done :!: Next I will do 1991's Suburban Commando, it was the last classic Hogan movie before his trim down and before movies were truly changing. Until then :batgrin:
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions