Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Customs Discussions, Works in Progress, etc.

Postby Templar Punk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:52 pm

I've been hovering these forums for awhile now, but I finally got the chance to register today! Lex's head came out so good man! I gotta learn this technique from you bro. Doesn't the liquid dry out by the time you transfer it to the toothpick or are you using some form of retarder to keep it wet? Regardless, Marvel is coming out nicely and yes I can't wait to see how Ivy comes out!
Templar Punk
Civilian
Civilian

Postby tonyrome » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Packer the detailing on Ragdoll is looking mighty sharp.
Tonyrome
tonyrome
Partner
Partner

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:34 pm

tonyrome wrote:Packer the detailing on Ragdoll is looking mighty sharp.

Oy vey, the lines...the lines...
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Hey Punk, welcome to the forums!

packer, that Ragdoll looks insane. What did you make his body from??

olds, that Lex looks great! Ms. Marvel looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see Poison Ivy when you're finished.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:39 pm

It's an Avatar Jake body with ML Psylocke lower legs. Can't take credit for the idea though as I saw someone on fwoosh do him that way. Funny thing is, I bought that Jake long before I saw that custom because he was like $4 at Tuesday Morning. Never knew what I would do with him, but the price was nice. I originally started one using a DCUC Deadman that I sanded all of the musculature off of. I even got as far to have most of the checks done besides a few on one leg. But the range of motion was more limited, so I switched to the Avatar body.

Here's an actual comparison pic I took when I restarted just to show the difference in how far they can bend. I may finish the Deadman version and toss him up on ebay after I finish the Avatar version.
Image[/quote]
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby tonyrome » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm so gonna steal that recipe.
Tonyrome
tonyrome
Partner
Partner

Postby Templar Punk » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks Acid! Excited to join the community.
Templar Punk
Civilian
Civilian

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm

tonyrome wrote:I'm so gonna steal that recipe.

I shouldn't say I stole the whole recipe. I added the Psylocke legs for the wrinkly booties. Think the original just had generic female ML legs.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby 1987olds442 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Templar Punk wrote:I've been hovering these forums for awhile now, but I finally got the chance to register today! Lex's head came out so good man! I gotta learn this technique from you bro. Doesn't the liquid dry out by the time you transfer it to the toothpick or are you using some form of retarder to keep it wet? Regardless, Marvel is coming out nicely and yes I can't wait to see how Ivy comes out!

Hey welcome to the DCTR :smgrin:

The method that I've been using is to take the prismacolor ending in 182 to mark lines on the face in the approximate areas where I want the shading usually you want it in the lowest point on the sculpt. Then I use the tip of a toothpick to move the color around, and sometime you may need to dip the tip of the toothpick in a little water. It can also help to sharpen the toothpick some as well. For the eyebrows and the edge of the hairline I used a little darker pen. Once you are happy with the shading I apply a very light coat of automotive top coat. You want to use thin coats to keep shading from running. Then after that all that is left to do is apply a dullcoat after the auto clear drys. For an added extra detail I like to apply a gloss to the eyes and a little semi-gloss at he seam of the lips. For the edging around the eyes I use the same 182 for the bottom and a black for top.
Last edited by 1987olds442 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987olds442
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 am

Today is a very sad day in the packerbacker household as we mourn the loss of my very first Dremel. We had a good four year run, but now I'm just not getting enough power from the rechargeable battery. Sleep well, my friend.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs