Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

THE SWAMP 2.0 by Idiot Savant

The central catch all topic for your collections! Share all of your awesome collections/display setups that you've built and see what others have put together!

Re: THE SWAMP 2.0 by Idiot Savant

Postby Idiot Savant » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Tango, he's actually pretty posable for his size, but the biggest thing I found is you definitely need to keep his center of gravity even. His legs get a little wonky if you don't...other than that he's awesome!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:02 am

You dude Idiot Savant, you have one of the biggest and most insane DC collections that I have ever seen :batshock: :batshock: :batshock: :batshock: :wwshock: :wwshock: :wwshock: :wwshock: You Star Wars stuff is quite impressive and over you have one major collection so congrats dude :D :!:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks a ton Brandon...I've been collecting my entire life , but it's in recent years that (thanks to DCUC) that I've narrowed my collecting focus to my core favorites.

Before we moved up here, I made sure to go through my crap and trade as much as possible; which ended up being $1,200 in trade money!

I also have a bunch of GI Joes in storage waiting for a home but as of yet, I haven't found them one...
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 pm

Savant! The Swamp is a thrill to look through. For some reason, I thought I already commented on this but it turns out I had not. :smoops: I look at this thread all the time and didn't notice I didn't leave a comment. That's a great setup you got and I love all the flying characters you have suspended from the ceiling. Currently my place isn't big enough to dedicate to a full on toy room but seeing these cool displays has me thinking what I can do myself someday!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Illiasc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Man, Idiot Savant, this is all just too incredible to look through. Some really amazing display work. I love the battle scenes (random heads included, ha!) and I especially love all the airborne activity as well. Have you been able to expand your Manhunter horde lately? I love the group so far that's approaching. I've been thinking myself about getting a few 6" Manhunters, given that most of my 6" figures are Lanterns anyway. Curious, what exactly is it that you use to hang all your flying dudes?
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:37 am

Idiot Savant wrote:Thanks a ton Brandon...I've been collecting my entire life , but it's in recent years that (thanks to DCUC) that I've narrowed my collecting focus to my core favorites.

Before we moved up here, I made sure to go through my crap and trade as much as possible; which ended up being $1,200 in trade money!

I also have a bunch of GI Joes in storage waiting for a home but as of yet, I haven't found them one...

Your welcome dude :) I must say WOW dude :!:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Illiasc wrote:Man, Idiot Savant, this is all just too incredible to look through. Some really amazing display work. I love the battle scenes (random heads included, ha!) and I especially love all the airborne activity as well. Have you been able to expand your Manhunter horde lately? I love the group so far that's approaching. I've been thinking myself about getting a few 6" Manhunters, given that most of my 6" figures are Lanterns anyway. Curious, what exactly is it that you use to hang all your flying dudes?

Apologies for the delay...

Thanks for the props on the display. Sadly, I still only have those 3 manhunters, but will get more if I find them cheap enough, for I have the same thoughts: build that army

The figures have been hanging for about a year now and are just beginning to fall from the sky...I may need to find a better way to hang them, but I tried to not punch any holes in the ceiling for obvious reasons.

Currently they're hung (phrasing!!!) by using 3M ceiling and wall stickies that come with plastic tabs (not sure of the official 3M term) but I think they'd work better on a smooth surface. My walls and ceilings have a stucco or textured surface, so I have to try to find the best spot....so far, Bizarro, Hawkman and a manhunter have taken the dirt nap

This option worked really well and still is for the most part, I just need to re-think it a bit...but that's the fun part of this hobby; the display and discussions with others on some good options

Anybody else have a better idea?
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:12 pm

AcidDragon wrote:Savant! The Swamp is a thrill to look through. For some reason, I thought I already commented on this but it turns out I had not. :smoops: I look at this thread all the time and didn't notice I didn't leave a comment. That's a great setup you got and I love all the flying characters you have suspended from the ceiling. Currently my place isn't big enough to dedicate to a full on toy room but seeing these cool displays has me thinking what I can do myself someday!

Ah, crap...another post I haven't replied to!

Aaanywho, thank you "poisonous flying lizard man". When I finally finished painting and setting up the rest of the house, I was able to work on The Swamp 2.0....when I did, I was up until about 1-2 am every night for a good week or two; staring, plotting, setting, building and repeat...

During that preparation, I also measured out how much wall space I had and then placed EVERY single DCUC figure I have on the floor (as if standing next to each other) just to see how much room I had to work with...turns out I'm glad I had a ceiling cuz I just didn't have the space I pictured in my head

As with most collectors, my display is ever changing and even though this isn't my "dream display", it'll do for now
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Idiot Savant » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Illiasc wrote:Man, Idiot Savant, this is all just too incredible to look through. Some really amazing display work. I love the battle scenes (random heads included, ha!) and I especially love all the airborne activity as well. Have you been able to expand your Manhunter horde lately? I love the group so far that's approaching. I've been thinking myself about getting a few 6" Manhunters, given that most of my 6" figures are Lanterns anyway. Curious, what exactly is it that you use to hang all your flying dudes?

Also Illiasc, I forgot to mention I use thin fishing line with that 3-M sticky tabs to hang the flying figs...fun part is trying to figure out where best to hang them on their centers or gravity
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Illiasc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:50 pm

Ah yes, center of gravity and hanging locations. . . Always (sarcasm) fun, haha! As for the fishing line, makes sense. It's what I would imagine being the best, especially considering its translucency, too. I understand ya on the ceiling too. Mine is pretty bad and uh, unattractive, so I don't even hang the most basic lightweight stuff from it, heh! That's a shame to hear some of your guys fell from the skies, though.

To be honest when it comes to better ideas, fishing line was what already came to mind, but as for getting it up there on the ceiling - You've got me beat. And honestly, you're ahead of me on simply planning out the display. I have to confess, if I were to start hanging up a nice airborne battle. . . . I'd probably just start hanging dudes up and see where it goes, then regret that plan once I run out of room and find myself still having figures yearning to take to the skies! :halgrin:
Illiasc
Hero
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Collections