Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Be a Figure: Hasbro Selfie Series

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

Be a Figure: Hasbro Selfie Series

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:24 pm

$60, I am so tempted to do this.

https://hasbropulse.com/pages/selfie-series
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Be a Figure: Hasbro Selfie Series

Postby AcidDragon » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:38 pm

Whoa, cool. Is it bad that I'm more interested in this because of the potential we have of having fully retail quality printed/painted heads of other people/fictional characters I'd be interested in having figures of?
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:52 am

Well PB, if ya got the moolah then do it. There's a lot of options there. No way I could :roll:

Nope, it could be awesome to have fictional characters like that especially for Ghostbusters, Star Wars & Power Rangers, just a shame the prices are ridicules where you can't get like 5 for $50 or something that, today's market is just :roll:

The thing is before 3D printing was known to the public many years ago, there was a few independent companies that would make 6" & 12" sculpted heads in your likeness but this was actually by sculptors, not tech. Shame the trend wasn't successful then, amazing how things are years later :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:30 am

I will probably talk my wife in to getting me for Christmas, lol. The big question is Trooper or X-Wing pilot? I think these are neat. Something like this would be cool for a wedding party gift, like get all your groomsmen made as Stormtroopers and yourself as an X-wing pilot. Or all of you as Ghostbusters, lol. Ot heck, even though you only have the Red Ranger, it wouldn't be too hard to pop the head on to a new figure and make the whole team. It could be fun.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:36 am

Hah, well, see if she'd get you'em ;) Well see what fits, are you Empire or a Rebel :?: Are you a Ghostbuster or a Power Ranger. Whatever fits YOU :!:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby OneNineSix » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:40 am

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Well PB, if ya got the moolah then do it. There's a lot of options there. No way I could :roll:

Nope, it could be awesome to have fictional characters like that especially for Ghostbusters, Star Wars & Power Rangers, just a shame the prices are ridicules where you can't get like 5 for $50 or something that, today's market is just :roll:

The thing is before 3D printing was known to the public many years ago, there was a few independent companies that would make 6" & 12" sculpted heads in your likeness but this was actually by sculptors, not tech. Shame the trend wasn't successful then, amazing how things are years later :roll:

For sure it's def expensive. problem is that the quality vs cost has yet to catch up for a home 3D Printer and obviously that's even more cost prohibitive to buy. now i'm going to say a bunch of stuff that might make people mad or get me banned i hope not. Are you talking 5 figs for $50 or 5 heads? You couldn't even buy one of these figures off the shelf for less than $20. Then you would still have to make your own head.

If you mean 5 figs for $50 there's zero chance of that. The other thing is these are printed so it takes a lot of time to prep and then the printing takes time and then you have to remove the heads by hand and then you have to set it up by hand to get it painted by a machine. even Casting Cave charges around $5 for a casted head and he's just pouring plastic into a mold he made of heads from toys that already exist. A painted head from Casting Cave can run you $40 or more. Hand sculpting a head I would think would cost even more since that is taking up a lot of someone's time. it def couldn't be for $10 or less or that person is basically losing money. Good customizers charge usually charge around 100 or more to make a figure. I assume you get the figure too so the price while high is not really unfair.

the price of some toys went up but also so did our earning power over time. maybe the cost did go up faster than our wages but the price of oil is higher in order to make plastic and the factory people we exploit in third world countries to make us cheap things which we then complain about after have started asking for more in order to have a better standard of living.

Formlabs is an American company. They have to pay an American employee at least the hourly going rate for operating this equipment. that's a good thing right? These heads aren't batched out in bulk in a factory somewhere in China. at risk of sounding political we say we need to bring manufacturing back to America but why do you think the Samsung Galaxy went from an $800 phone to a $2000+ phone? Samsung just built new factories in the good old USA but we are also seeing a increase in price as a result. Apple to follow. If you think toys are expensive now wait until we start making them here. sorry if I sound rude im not meaning to at all and think ur a cool dude.
"I calculate that the probability of our concluding this game of Dungeons and Dragons before the business meeting resumes is slight!"
OneNineSix
Hero
Hero

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:46 am

OSN, I mean it in an older sense for the old days, of course. I complain how much this today's market is, its so deplorable. I'm sure you have seen Me complain about Matty and the like right? Like I said, their was independent customizers on the web in the 2000s that actually worked hard & sculpted and didn't use tech, this trend didn't go over and now the 3D ones are and for a lot more. It irks Me :x

Thanks for saying I'm a cool dude, I like to think so :)

I know all about customizers. I think you missed My Journey with Darthhink in the MOTU section. Stop by there when you get a chance, it's a tremendous topic of Mine and stop by more often, only PB really checks out My topics, Acid does sometimes, Olds just stay in the custom area and the rest are spectating guests apparently. I believe there's a ton of stuff you have missed in My Vintage, My Modern, My Odds & Ends, My 12", My Video Game Topics. I say that because you reply to something recent when I did a lot before that without you replying about that as well. I mostly in everything major I do detail with a lot of info especially with locations & stores of the past that I am trying to restore and that they don't fall into oblivion because I'm one of the very few, I mean very few people that is doing this. Of course I really contribute to the General Section too with a ton of content. Get here more often because stuff is updated often :batsmile:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 pm

Apparently the price has gone up from $60 to $80 before they even went up for sale (thanks, Joe Biden). $60 was already pushing it. $80 is a tough sell. Maybe, maybe not, now. I realize $80 doesn't go as far as it used to for toys, but that's still pretty steep for mass produced body and unique head. Aargh.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:01 am

Yeah, its pretty much now isn't and that's not all #LGB has done believe you Me :roll:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:56 pm

For anyone that was interested, to celebrate the launch, the current price i still $59.99 but will jump to $79.99. No word on how long the lower price will last.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Next

Return to General Toy Discussions