Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wingnut's collection

The central catch all topic for your collections! Share all of your awesome collections/display setups that you've built and see what others have put together!

Re: Wingnut's collection

Postby Idiot Savant » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:31 pm

Absolutely wonderful collection you have going there…great use of posing and awesome customs mixed in all over too! Is there a way you can take one giant picture for context?

Also, I was probably one of the few of the morons that bought the entire GL move masters line…I just couldn’t stop myself haha! I added the alien characters that no one has made into my collection (hence making me not customize my own; my person rule: if a company has made one, it stays that way - although I have broken it from time to time haha)

Great setup you have going…but I sense there’s more to it than just DC, true? If so, toss some of those pics on here too I love looking at other peoples collections
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby wingnut1969 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:58 pm

Thanks IS, sorry can't call you just Idiot. I couldn't back up far enough to take one pic - the room is too small. If it helps any picture a corner between the two as one runs along one wall and the other turns the corner and runs along the facing wall.

As for other figures? Yes and no.

I got back into Star Wars in the 90's with the POTF figures and mostly quit with the prequels because that's all they were focusing on rather than the originals. I bought a ton of Phantom Menace but not so much Clones and Sith. But most of that is boxed up and no longer on display. I have a very small amount out.

Marvel Legends I do have some, both Toy Biz and Hasbro, but not on display. I have been thinking about it as I have a small shelving unit that they could fit on I think I just have never done it.

I do have Super Powers out and some other DC Direct PVC's.

I'll post pics of it all later if you're interested.

Also in boxes I have B/S:TAS and JL - though I quit JL when the single carded figures went up to $8 in price so the end of the line I don't have and the sets I bought off Matty I didn't open because I had pretty much already taken everything down. If I could find a place to put them all up I would as B:TAS got me into toy collecting.

The reason why DCUC is all I really have out is because I have ALWAYS been a DC guy. Not so much Marvel but did read a few titles from Marvel - mostly X, Fantastic Four(Byrne) and Amazing Spider-Man at the time. I also read PAD Incredible Hulk(most of it), went back and got DD(Miller) and Thor(Simonson) with Perez Avengers(and Byrne) and FF. Thanks to the movies though I now have far more Marvels than I ever did most of which were bought at the flea market from my guy there(RIP).

I'm glad you enjoyed the GL figures. I just couldn't get behind it. I was so disappointed that the size was all wrong, the joints had limited maneuverability, the CNC was a huge hot mess broken up into too many pieces and that I still can't get him to actually hold the lantern. The size thing is really what gets me. Mattel had already done the Movie Masters for Dark Knight Trilogy that were in scale with DCUC so why change the size. It just doesn't make sense.

I also try to refrain from doing figures that had already been done unless the figures just outright sucked - E2 Huntress, didn't fit in with what I have going on - Lois Lane, I could do "better" - Circe or just needed another - Aqualad. I went through a spell where I wanted all DCUC and planned to replace any DCD - and have some figures in the works(for a LONG time) but when I really looked at what all was included in my collection that I did not want to lose - Kryptonian Battlesuit, Krypto and Streaky, Oberon, Cosmic Treadmill, tiny Atoms and DCD figures I had no answer for - I decided to let go of that foolishness. I still might replace those with the ones I started and do some others simply because of the lack of poseability - because DCD may look great in most cases the lack of certain articulation severely limits what you can do with them.

Sorry this was so long winded but when I get going it can be hard to reel it in.

Again, thanks for your kind words about my collection and my customs. It makes an (semi)old man feel good.

Looking at the Preview it pretty much looks EXACTLY like how I have it.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:10 pm

Yeah I completely agree on the GL:MM’s…whilst I did like the alien Lanterns the best, all had brutal articulation and the smaller scale was a stupid decision to be sure.

Parallax was especially rough because how do you make a giant space turd look good? I repainted mine so it looks “better”…but that isn’t saying much haha

Excellent collection sir
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby wingnut1969 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:47 pm

9565 9566 9567 9568 9569 9570

Just some stuff I added in:

1) The Smallville sign from the DCD SA Superboy/Supergirl 2pk. Metropolis is on the other side but I wanted Smallville since that's mostly where the Legion visited when they went into the past. I would really like to be able to get some elevation on the sign as it is obscured by all of the figures. I'm working on figuring it out but so far nada. Ideas?

2) The cat from the DCD SA Catwoman/Penguin 2pk. I figured Batman has a dog Catwoman should have a cat. I think it looks better than the cat idol - or whatever - that Catwoman came with.

3) I finally fixed my Red Hood figure. DCD did the Unmasked figures years ago where you could swap the heads. This one obviously came with a Joker head. I was switching the head out one day a long while ago and the pin in his neck snapped off - a growing problem with the DCD figures IMO. So I fixed it and it wasn't as easy as it should have been.

4) The Daily Planet building came with the Perry White DCD figure - pretty sure. I figured I'd put it at the heart of the Planet crew.

5) Thrill Killer Batgirl. I guess I need to get the Thrill Killer Batman to go along with her.

6) Starmen in the house.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:26 pm

Love it..want more!
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Postby wingnut1969 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:37 pm

New central Titans shot featuring the latest recruits.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:24 pm

New Legion of Super-Heroes look with Jimmy "Elastic Lad" Olsen.

Another update coming soon(ish).
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:41 pm

Since there can never be enough monkey business I present to you the Legion of Super Pets.

I did not expect the Superman Robot/Beppo to arrive so soon. Delivery date was Oct. 12 but it arrived today. So today I bring you Beppo the super monkey. Don't worry, the Superman Robot will make his appearance as soon as my other acquisition arrives and we'll make it a double debut in a single shot.

By the by, I have a cape so all I need is a white horse to complete the collection. It wouldn't seem that hard a thing right? Turns out it is.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:57 pm

And now, at long last, we have the twin debut of the Superman Robot and Kelex.

I wasn't sure if I would display the Superman Robot because his Silver Ageyness makes him kinda stand out. Jimmy and Perry came out in the same assortment but their looks are kind of universal where Robbie doesn't look at all like the other Superman figures. That's also why I did not use the SA Lois Lane. Her in her pillbox hat would just look odd amidst everything else. But I decided to use him when his pose came to mind. I honestly wish he was standing guard over the bottle city of Kandor instead of a display of multi colored kryptonite but I don't have a Kandor and have not figured out a way to make one.

Kelex arrived today and I have waited with baited breath for his Imminent arrival. He came with an ICON Superman figure that I did not really want and definitely did not need. I figure with all of the Mattel and other DC Direct Superman figures I have I was pretty well covered on Superman so I bought him for Kelex because I wanted him badly. I don't know what, if anything, I'll do with Superman he was just a byproduct.

While on the subject of the ICON figures let me just say that for as nice as they are they are a little underwhelming. They are smaller than either Mattel's or DC's other figures. I was disarmed by Atomica by her size when I got her. She is so clearly smaller than the other members of CSA. I know she was not part of that release but come on. I truly did not mind the size differential though as she is Atomica and maybe should be smaller. I had the mini figure that came with Johnny but I wanted a complete representation of the CSA.

Also, I have always been severely disappointed that the Sprang Joker did not come with a hat so I was thinking about getting one of the ICON Jokers just to remove the hat and try and hollow it out to Sprang Jokers head and I'm sure I can find something to do with the tommy gun he comes with.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:48 pm

An updated LOSH pic to showcase my new sign. I scanned, enlarged and printed the billboard sign from the SA Sb/Sg 2pk and moved some figures around so it could be seen. The original sign would have been lost behind what will continue be my ever growing Legion collection - I do have plans for a few other customs - so I made it bigger. I also had to switch Dawnstar and Wildfire with Mon-El and Shadow Lass or else Dawnstar's wings would have blocked out the sign and what would have been the point.

Until next time.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Collections