Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

May 21, 1980--ToysRUs Empire Strikes Back Launch

The toy line from a galaxy far far away! The section for fans of the movies, comics, vintage and modern toylines (Kenner, Hasbro Star Wars Black, etc), the Clone Saga, the WOTC miniatures game and more!

May 21, 1980--ToysRUs Empire Strikes Back Launch

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 am

Someone posted this on JTA and I thought it was amazing just to see what the store looked like on this day in 1980 when The Empire Strikes Back debuted. I remember when stores looked lpaded like this, maybe it's because we were all three feet tall but stores seemed so much more ful and magical back then. Maybe there were just less different brands to put out back then, but even in the last years of TRU, it just never felt the same. Every brand had a small section of one aisle, and nothing felt grand. Anyway, take a look, the interviews are neat as well (my favorite is when the reporter asks the dad if he's buying the toys for him self and the dad sounds a bit indignant, as if that would be a bad thing, lol--oh, the times...)!
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: May 21, 1980--ToysRUs Empire Strikes Back Launch

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:10 pm

Maaan, I forgot that back in the day, Toys R Us looked like this on the inside. Thanks for the share. Loved it.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:15 pm

Yep, the 80s & 90s were the greatest times for action figures at the toy stores. I remember when I was really young when ROTJ came out. I believe it it was Toy Chest not TRU, I got the SW Micro sets. I remember how cool that was for Me and one of the cherished moments of My early childhood :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby Tango X » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:51 pm

These old skool ads really take me back. Child World.
Tango X
Hero
Hero

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:03 pm

...a super toy store and a whole lot more!

Every few years I go on youtube around Christmas and watch old 1980's toystore commercials. Good times.

But Hills was where the toys were.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:48 pm

I don't think we had this store here up north. LOL. I dig the commercials. I saw this place featured on an episode of Toys That Made Us.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 pm

I think my parents took us to Child World more than TRU, so TRU was always a treat, especially since they ran ads on Double Dare. I think CW was just a lot closer to where we lived. But the outside was made to look like a castle, so who wouldn't want to shop at a castle. Around here it was K-Mart, Hills, TRU, and Child World, Kay-Bee, and a competing toy store in the malls whose name I can't recall.

Child World always felt more fun for me, and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact it was white floors and walls in there, whereas TRU was all yellows and it felt dingier because of it, lol. Still, Hill's had the best toy displays back in the day, they were giant plexiglass scenes set up right in the action figure aisle, was always cool to see what was there.

Another fun thing I like to find are the old Saturday morning cartoon lineup listings you'd find in 1970s and 1980s comics.

SNORKS!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:44 am

packerbacker180 wrote:I think my parents took us to Child World more than TRU, so TRU was always a treat, especially since they ran ads on Double Dare. I think CW was just a lot closer to where we lived. But the outside was made to look like a castle, so who wouldn't want to shop at a castle. Around here it was K-Mart, Hills, TRU, and Child World, Kay-Bee, and a competing toy store in the malls whose name I can't recall.

Child World always felt more fun for me, and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact it was white floors and walls in there, whereas TRU was all yellows and it felt dingier because of it, lol. Still, Hill's had the best toy displays back in the day, they were giant plexiglass scenes set up right in the action figure aisle, was always cool to see what was there.

Another fun thing I like to find are the old Saturday morning cartoon lineup listings you'd find in 1970s and 1980s comics.

SNORKS!

WOW Packer, love those adds especially the Muppets & the Hogan ones :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:22 am

Fun fact, the voice of the Hulkster on the cartoon was done by Brad Garrett, Raymond's brother on Everybody Loves Raymond.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:50 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:Fun fact, the voice of the Hulkster on the cartoon was done by Brad Garrett, Raymond's brother on Everybody Loves Raymond.

Yes, it is and I loved that show back in the day. He also was recently Krang in the TMNT 2: Out out of the Shadows in 2016.
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Return to Star Wars