Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

DC 6" License Goes to McFarlane Toys?!?

Discuss the ever popular character comprehensive line "DC Universe Classics" here! This also includes DC Superheroes, DC Universe Classics, DC Unlimited, Batman Unlimited, Club Infinite Earths, Movie Masters, 1966 Batman TV Series, Club Black Freighter, Total Heroes and any other DC figure line utilizing the 6" scale.

Re: DC 6" License Goes to McFarlane Toys?!?

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:40 pm

I just worry that when you try to please everyone you end up not pleasing anyone. I can see looming pegwarmers without a decent BAF incentive.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 am

Yeah, I also think the idea that "if we put this stupid TV figure nobody ever asked for into a BAF wave, they'll HAVE to buy it" is insane. Is there a mandate that these TV figures even had to be made? If so, then why not put them in their own waves or lines of toys? I don't even understand the mentality of knowingly making a figure of a character you already have no confidence in selling and then shoe horning it into a loosely related product line that's kind of doing well in order to force people to buy it so they can complete the collect and connect.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:59 am

With that said, I also think McFarlane releasing these new figures in 7 inch scale shows that he isn't confident in his own product. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like some of the motivation behind this is that he doesn't see the point in competing with the existing toyline. That his Superman and Batman figures might not hold up against Mattel's or that people won't buy them again in 6 inch scale but for some reason they will in a slightly larger and completely incompatible scale? How about no? What he could have done was made a few 6 inch figures of characters that could fill some gaps in the existing DCUC line and release them alongside some interesting new choices and of course, the more popular Superman and Batman figures and I'm sure that if they're good, people will go back and buy the Batman and Superman figures. Making the figures a different scale does not trick me into feeling like I have to start a new 7" line of figures. I'm getting fed up with companies using these weird tactics in a largely ineffective attempt to trick fanbases into buying things. It makes toy collecting a heck of a lot less fun.
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Webslinger » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:58 pm

Perhaps he wants to set himself aside from other toy lines by not doing the "same old" stuff, toy companies don't need to make things compatible for old toy lines that are no longer in production. Having newer toy designs sets him apart from the others and makes it his own, don't you think? If I had a toy company I wouldn't want people to think I'm copying a previous toy line by putting out something so similar to the toy lines predecessor....
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:04 pm

I get that but I think 6 inch is a pretty common action figure scale. He doesn't owe it to collectors to make the scale compatible but it would definitely give me a reason to buy into the line. Mattel's DC figures were already pretty articulated, especially their final waves so aside from making them a little bigger, I don't know if there's a whole lot of room for ground breaking innovations but they could have them beat on aesthetics. For one, that Superman looks great and I would have happily bought that to replace my existing modern Superman but it's too big. For me, a 7 inch scale line with many of the same figures I already have in 6 inch scale doesn't work for the same reason I didn't get into the DC Icons line even though those figures looked awesome although I could see myself picking up Atomica someday. I'm sure there may be a market for these, possibly with people who are new and haven't invested in something else already or people who collect everything Superman or Batman.
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:05 pm

Eh, it's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he didn't already have figures like Fortnite and whatnot that were seven inches I would question the decision, but that's his scale apparently, so no surprise. I'd want to make them as compatible as possible with other lines, but I'm a collector, not a businessman, and the two are completely separate perspectives. Why should Todd care if these match my Alan Scott in scale, right?

I don't think he's going in thinking I have to carryon with what Mattel did, because to some degree, Mattel dropped the ball, and that's why he has the license now. It'll be fun to see them in store, and fun to see who else he makes, but I'm glad I can ignore them. Honestly spend too much as is, so glad there's one less thing to pay attention to.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby AcidDragon » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:08 pm

Yeah, that's one silver lining for me that I can see with it being an incompatible scale. It's that I'll be done with my DC figure collecting days with the final Multiverse wave with Killer Croc. Lots of money saved. In fact, with MOTUC coming to an end and having all the Anniversary Joes I want aside from a few rares, my toy collecting days might be finished!
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:13 pm

I'm still buying almost all the Black Series figures. Marvel is pushing my limits with Legends. It's just too much, too often, and I find myself less interested in newer waves. I've got a giant tote still full of DCUC fodder, so...
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Webslinger » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:45 pm

McFarlane posted a video saying that stuff is already hitting the store shelves in some areas!!! WOW that is fast! We just got a look at his stuff a couple days ago... Oh and he said he only has the license for 3 years, maybe Hasbro will toss their hat into the ring and go after the DC license after McFarlane's contract expires. What do you all think?
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:18 pm

God, let's hope not. Can't afford another figure-palooza like MLs. I might just give up altogether. DCUC had an amazing run...
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DC Universe Classics and Assorted 6" Scale from Mattel