Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Wingnut's customs

Show off your masterpieces, share recipes and tips and the latest and greatest in custom figure techniques!

Re: Wingnut's customs

Postby wingnut1969 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 pm

Starman

This is a total remake of a Booster Gold figure. No other parts were used. The goggles and the wrist gauntlets played right into the original design of the character by Ditko. The units on the tops of his hands I thought were nice add-ons. I could have removed them but I liked the extra detail they provided. I chose not to have the staff for two reasons: 1) Booster's hands aren't made to hold stuff and 2) through 99.9% of his Adventure series he doesn't have it. He only gets in the last two panels of the series so I decided to leave it out. While looking through the comics I couldn't decide if the black on his chest was shading or if it was really supposed to be black. So, I consulted the JLU figure and they had him with the black so I went with it. Then it was time to decide on the "star field" on his abdomen and I liked how it looked too. I think the absence of either of these options would have been fine but I really like them.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:29 pm

Starfire/Red Star

This completes my Booster 2 fer. This is a classic Booster Gold because the collar and visor fit the need perfectly. I switched the forearms and boots for Dr. Mid-Nite(arms) and Cap Jr(Boots). For as quickly as this one came together the blessed star gave me all kinds of fits. It might be a bit too large but as I cannot draw a freehand star to save my life I had to rely on tracing one onto some masking tape and then painting it on - which gave me no end of problems - well, ok, it did end, obviously, but only because I got supremely frustrated splashed it on and then tried to fix it afterward. Judge for yourselves how well it turned out. I'm mostly very happy with it. Unlike . . .
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:35 pm

Lilith Clay/Omen

This is a Mary Marvel. I switched out the head with Supergirl and the lower legs with Raven. I did my best to try and sculpt some kind of top but I'm not real happy with it. I'm happy enough just not overjoyed. I also don't like the thought of her with clinched fists but there was/is no good substitute for them. The same is true for my Lana Lang figure which is why she stands with her hands behind her back.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:21 pm

Elastic Lad

OK this was a no-brainer. This is an Elongated Man repainted. Found some stickers small enough to use on him, because there is NO WAY I could have painted his name on his chest. Of course I wanted to use the stretchy hand rather than the regular one because otherwise what's the point. So now I have an extra hand - which could always come in useful - and a magnifying glass - now all I need is a monkey that can hold it. :D
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby Idiot Savant » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pm

Wonderfully done customs there! Paint is nice and solid and the comic accuracy is very good….although I’m not familiar with that particular Omen’s outfit.
I am one of the 63%....
Idiot Savant
League Elite
League Elite

Location: Galactic Sector Z-Z-9-Plural-Z Alpha-middle-of-effing-nowhere-Wisconsin

Postby wingnut1969 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:34 pm

IS until Dan Jurgens put her in the cloak and hood in his 90's Teen Titans series Lilith pretty much just wore regular clothes and not fancy costumes. That's also when she picked up the moniker of Omen. So the plain clothes is what I tried my best to do.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:00 pm

Really digging those Red Star and Star Man customs. Great job, wingnut!
"Finally got all the way through that 'Death of Superman' video game...as Steel. Play Superboy and you're history by level three, right? But Steel..." - Kon-El AKA Superboy
AcidDragon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut1969 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:39 pm

Thanks Acid. I appreciate it.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Emerald Empress

So this is a Batman Legacy Arkham Harley figure with a Star Sapphire head and a Raven cloak. I really liked the hip boots with this figure for the custom for variety. I mean you can't use Star Sapphire for everything can you? I thought the look was kinda S&M which I thought EE might be into - certainly the domination aspect of it. The extra detailing on the figure I thought added flair though I admit I did not do as much as I would have liked. I had an extra Sapphire head plus I liked the headdress, very Empress I thought and kinda fit the rest of the motif. Then I added Raven's cloak as I had a few unused lying around and I hated the idea of not using parts. I think it worked out pretty nicely.

The Eye of Ekron is just a ping pong ball - that glows in the dark - not that anyone will ever got to see that happen but I thought it would be cool to give it it's own special power.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

Postby wingnut1969 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:24 pm

Johnny Thunder and his Thunderbolt

Johnny is a Riddler with the ?'s removed and added the bow tie from Zatanna and I Phantom Stranger head

Thunderbolt is a Mercury with added on head and elbow pieces - I'm really not very good at the molding parts but I try my best hoping practice makes perfect - or at least not awful - still, not my finest work.

Hang tight guys as I have a few more almost ready to make their debut's two of which I'm really excited to unveil.
wingnut1969
Partner
Partner

PreviousNext

Return to Action Figure Customs