Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: JRNY to K-Mart Plaza!!!

Discuss any toy lines that do not currently have their own topics here such as Thundercats, Hot Wheels, My Little Pony and Friends, Trash Pack and more!

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: DAITARN 3 & ROBOTEC

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:45 am

Geez, that store must've been a sight to see. I never got into Robotech. I remember stumbling across the cartoon a few times but had no idea what was going on.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: DAITARN 3 & ROBOTEC

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:11 pm

Oh like I said PB, her SuperStore was IMPORT HAVEN, you would have loved to go there. I've been to so many stores in My years but none was like her and I'm sure there isn't any like her's anywhere else either, there was ONLY 1 JUDY :!: Judy was wonderful and such a special person. The first Korean I knew and like I said, she & her husband had no employees, they did everything themselves in that huge building, the web didn't exist nor did they need it, they did everything old school. If it wasn't for My Grandma I would have never known Judy :) This is one of the few reasons I talk about her and her SuperStore a lot. I despise the fact that she is most likely forgotten or not known by most in My area, how can anybody condone such a thing :x Is all I know I'm quite thankful to have known her, went to her SuperStore on many occasions, got all this stuff and had all of those great times on Cherokee as well on Grand cause hey. like I posted in My Woolworth Part 1, Judy began her store on Grand then moved to Cherokee so it was all such a great beginning to this :) Again, I may show more from her sometime in the future but most of'em will be in My Odds & Ends. If any of you spectators that is seeing this are wondering what I'm talking about then get to the 2 previous pages where I showcase My times of Woolworth on Grand & Cherokee cause as great as the Woolworths were they weren't the only ones there on those said streets :batsmile: It's something I wanted to do for a very long time and is one of My most imperative showcases I ever done and thanks PB, more to come soon :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Smart Sam!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:02 am

So here is My next presentation and this will be of a very special teddy bear that is called Smart Sam: The Talking Teddy Bear :) Along with robots & cyborgs, sword & sorcery, rock people and aliens, there was a big teddy bear craze also in the 80s with the Care Bears & Teddy Ruxpin. Smart Sam came out around the same time. It's possible that My Grandma got Me him at Judy's but I doubt it, it's most likely she got him over at Cherokee's Woolworth, Ben Franklin's on Grand or even Venture in South Town. I don't know for sure, what I do know is I loved him and he was My bud for a very long while, I slept with him and played with him a lot probably as much as I did with Gizmo :o I kept him in storage during all these years so he's still in great condition and here he is :)

He's dressed like a little detective in blue and his clothing feels good & smooth. His nose is red because he's electronic which is his feature hence his name. He has a hidden button underneath his blue patch on his left paw. How his feature works is you speak and say whatever you like and this he speaks like a mimic as he says what you just said plus his nose lights up red when he does so :shock: He was a joy for a youngster Brandon :)

So how this works is his has a zippered up compartment in his back that houses his electronic brilliance with his battery connector that takes one 9-Volt Battery. You snug into his back once it's connected and your all set :)

Sadly there's hardly anything about him online :roll: Here is a short YT video to demonstrate how Smart Sam works :)

Here is Smart Sam's 1985 Copyright. he is made by Hip Yick International.

Here is Smart Sam's Size Comparison with My previously seen go-to guy Mattel's MOTU Prince Adam & Hasbro's Gremlins' Gizmo. Oh gosh that looks so 80s good cuteness :batsmile:

So that will be all for this one and I hope you were surprised and enjoyed this one of Smart Sam :) Next up will be a presentation you may not expect though I hinted at it before, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:51 pm

I had a Teddy Ruxpin when I was a kid. I can't say I remember Smart Sam, though.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:26 am

That's good PB :) Yeah, Smart Sam is quite obscure now I'm afraid :roll: Thanks for the reply PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Mr. Potato Kids/Spu

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue May 02, 2023 6:52 am

So do you recall when when I said that I'll have a special Mr. Potato Head showcase in My Vintage a while back in PB's Toy Commercial Topic :?: Well this is it :o I bet you forgot about these babies ;) So It was around 1986 when these Mr. Potato Head Spuds Kids came out. I believe My Mom got them for Me possibly at Venture on Kingshighway in South Town where she worked as a baker. This was a time when I was experimenting with new and different toys besides Star Wars, MOTU, G.I. Joe and your usual suspects. I knew what these were cause she had gotten Me a regular Mr. Potato Head that I didn't take care of and later just misplaced but I wised up a bit and took care of these little guys thank goodness :) In fact it really wasn't that long ago when I found them in My disastrous storage area and I was quite surprised that I found them all intact :shock: So like the originals these are made by Hasbro however their under their Playskool brand just under two years after they acquired them when they bought & took over Milton Bradley of all years in 1984 and they love to take over companies in twos like Tonka & Kenner/Parker Brothers,Galoob & OSTM etc. :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: There was many to collect in this series including a Potato Head Kids Clubhouse that I may have had but I really don't recall it. To My knowledge these figures never had any individual names so I'm calling them Punk Spud/Kid & Good Spud/Kid. So I believe I only got two of'em though I could be wrong but that's all I was able to locate but hey that's enough to have for history & display and I'm quite thankful that I did :) Now both has two different expressions obviously sporting two different personalities hence why I gave them their little names. Note they both have the same shoes. I only have the one pair because the Punky Spud on the right is the one with all of the accessories, I have misplaced the ones that the Good Spud had but it'll all work out as you'll see in a second when you see them in all of their little glory :batsmile:

So the Punk Kid originally came with Cowboy & Indian accessories. Here they are on both of them with the Punk being a Cowboy and the Good Spud being a Indian/Native American.

Now we see the opposite of the Punk Spud being a Native American Indian and the Good Kid being a Cowboy. This may have led Me to liking western stuff and why My National Cowboys & Native American Indians caught My attention so much just about a year and a half or so after I got these little spuds which you can see them & National within this very topic in a extraordinary special showcase :)

So here's their Accessories & Assembly. Notice how they have the holes in their heads & bottoms and their clothing has the pegs. You peg them into the holes and wallah, you got yourself some nice toy Potato Spuds to assemble & play with :smgrin: I love how there is no fear of feeling like our gonna break'em because stuff later in the 2000s companies used cheaper plastic with out any care unlike these guys in the 80s and oh these smalls guys are kinda soft too and not of a hard plastic like their parents were/are :)

Here is the Potato Spuds Kids Playskool 1986 Copyright :!: Like I said before many times, it's quite crucial to look for the copyrights on your figures, books & comics, video games and whatever else because it will tell you who made it for history's sake and your own mental data bank. I have always found this very interesting since I was a youngster :batsmile:

Here's a Potato Kids size comparison with Prince Adam. I chose him because he's My go-to guy plus he's made by Mattel whom was Hasbro's competition just not big time during this decade but basically since toys began to be on the market and yet still are as this is one toy company those corporate locusts seem they cannot take over so I'll give those money hungry ignorant budgeters some kudos for that :o

Here is the The Spuds with their Modern Parents that I showcased in My Modern Action Figure Topic a while back. This was still before Hasbro went w0k3 and turned Mr. Potato Head gender neutral :batshock: :wwsmh: :smgasp: This great Potato Head couple are dressed up like baseball players because these are officially licenced Sports Spuds I got in the middle/little later part of the 2000s at the Gavois Holly Hills Walgreens, I had to get'em when I saw'em. Their My MLB home team of the St. Louis Cardinals :!: I think the scale and style fits and matches these Kids rather well despite their from two different decades because the originals looked huge compared to them and how apropos their all dressed up together :batsmile:

I hope you liked these Potato Spud Kids and maybe were even surprised a bit cause I love it when I actually surprise people ;) You can see their commericla that I posted just a few short moments ago in PB's Toy Commercial Topic. Believe it or not I'm getting to the nitty-gritty here in the 80s and My next showcase maybe one that I was originally gonna post near the end of the decade but it is deuce mixture of the 80s & 90s so we shall see, the climax above may give you a hint :wwshock: :smgasp: Until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: STARTING LINEUP!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 25, 2023 6:17 am

So did My last showcase of My Mr. Potato Head Kids give you the hint of what's My next presentation :? If your really following Me then I shouldn't be too hard to figure out I mean really's it's a no brainer as it's...

That's right, finally I'm going to show My Kenner Starting Lineups that I have off and on been talking about. Look at the beauty logo I made, that looks so good :) Now like I said I don't have a lot of'em. While I liked these types of figures, I was really experimenting with the first two and I regret not collecting others within the series later however a few of these I got in different but special ways as each has a unique story. Now if you paid attention to My huge Star Wars showcase I made the unthinkable happen of Starting Lineup crossing over with them and I thought it was good & different :batsmile:

BrandonDaCollector wrote:Kenner Super Special: Here will be a unique gallery that I came up with :?

So if anyone ever had a wonder of what it would look like if Kenner's Starting Lineup met Kenner's Star Wars here is what it would look like :shock: These guys are Johnny Bench & Shaquille O'Neal. I have great stories about these especially Shaq cause Me & My Grandma got him out of the jewelry vending machine at Schnucks on Loughborough in 1997 (the same place where I got My Belt Buckle Collection in My Odds & Ends) which was heck of a time. I will get to these and more within the Series when I showcase them later on :o

Well, that later on is NOW :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: Now this will vary from different years and I was going to wait till I got to the 90s but I kept on thinking about it and I'm like I better do it now, baseball season is already over a month in and one has a crucial anniversary date so I though I better get to it :)

Before I begin, I know that those corporate locusts Hasbro recently resurrected the line thanks to PB bringing it to My attention a while back. Each is around $50 which is insane. You could get many of the Vintage Classic Figures for that price plus their just doing NBA, anybody that loved the originals of the other sports apparently is going have to wait a long while and I don't know how plebeians can afford these. Forget those current ones cause I'm about to show "the first & true" Starting Lineups that started it all :!:

So first off like I said before, the only sport I was only interested was wrestling as it became My life when I was a youngster and that still stays true to this very second as I write this. Basketball seemed cool with the tall guys but I never really got into it, football is ridicules with the waiting times just for a fumble plus you really can't see the players' faces I mean just a hint of'em and numbers...same thing with hockey but that was a bit better. The only one that really was to My liking was baseball, I loved the pace, there was no time limit, you can identify the players and it's filled with tons of stats which as I've expressed many times before I'm a stats person and seems like it's really good thing that's fading away I mean nobody talk about stats here and I don't see many people elsewhere either but I love to read the the records and the bios of the players and that was the same with wrestling which seems like hardly anybody cares about anymore I mean WWE just ignores where the wrestlers are from & how much they weight most of the time, it was always a big deal before log ago and it was with Me and with My action figures like Joes & TMNT I mean I want to know things and I remain this way :) So I wanted to get into Kenner's Starting Lineup but this wasn't in the late 80s as one would expect, this was actually 1991. I recall it like it was yesterday. I was at school and My Grandma hired a painter to paint the dining room and there really wasn't much she could do during that time period and I was getting ready to be let out of school so she went to Venture in South Town and after she picked Me up and We came home she surprised Me with a two pack of the Baseball Greats series and I was pretty excited :) Now I really didn't know any baseball players, I really only knew "The Wizard" Ozzie Smith because he was the St. Louis Cardinals' main player and even if your not a baseball fan you know who he is :!: So while I'm excited, I don't know much about these figures but My Grandma knew EXACTLY who they were cause she went to the Cardinals games when the Cincinnati Reds were visiting back in her day with My Grandpa & Mom when she was a young girl :) She told Me their stories, what their known for and most of everything she knew about them which I love it when somebody tells Me a thing or two that is of history or something that My elders feel is important for Me to know and learn :) This two pack was of Pete Rose & Johnny Bench :!:

My Grandpa knew too but he was at the A&M Bike Shop but it was more apropos for her to tell Me. She loved history and without knowing & telling history things just aren't good in the future...look how it is now for example :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: I'm going to show all of these individually with some bonus stuff so here we go with a very much anticipated showcase :batsmile:

Pete Rose: Now like I said she told Me a lot of these players especially Rose because even to this day his bio is quite remarkable for positive & negative reasons. He was a First Basemen & Outfielder. I loved how this figure is posed in a perfect base stealing position which is what is what he was known for.

His jersey looks so accurate with the Cincinnati Reds' logo and his number 14. He has four points of articulation at the neck, shoulders and waist. His plate that he just took is sculpted to his left hand.

His likeness is tremendous and truly one of the most accurate looking figures Kenner ever made IMO and really holds up to this moment and his helmet looks fine and dandy as well :batsmile:

Now these guys came with exclusive trading cards and his was the only one I could locate. Thank goodness it was him :) Here is the front & back of his trading card, look at that :)

Here is his bio, I always found this stuff so cool :)

Here is his stats, some of it is so uncanny :batsmile:

Now despite I got him in 1991, he was actually released in 1989 and it was so good that these guys were still available. Here is the MLBPA Copyright as well as the Kenner Copyright. Now keep in mind that he's still actually made by Kenner and Starting Lineup was still their own property & creation. This was two years before those corporate locusts Hasbro would take them along with Parker Brothers & Tonka and claim the series as their own like it was their own to begin with like they did with so many others brands from other companies in the future :roll: I find it rather weird that that I got this two pack when Hasbro took them over in 1991...it was like THE last items I got that was actually made by Kenner... I find that historically strange in it's own right :batshock: :wwwink: :smgasp:

Here is Pete & his Kenner Baseball Card, notice it says "Charlie Hustle" :? He got that nickname during a spring training game against the New York Yankees, Whitey Ford who was also a great one gave him the sneering nickname "Charlie Hustle" after Rose sprinted to first base after drawing a walk. Despite/because of the manner in which Ford intended it, Rose adopted that as an honorable nickname and has been known for that for many decades :o Look how cool & wonderful this display looks :batsmile:

Johnny Bench: Another great Cincinnati Red. My Grandma told Me a lot about him too. He was one of the greatest Catchers ever to play the game. Over the years when I really got into the sport I never focused on him though. Unlike My Rose figure I misplaced his Kenner Starting Lineup Trading Card however he is still in terrific shape. He has a a very accurate likeness. His jersey looks very authentic and he's in a great pose as it appears he just hit a decent base hit in between Shortstop & 3rd Base so take a gander at him :!:

SPECIAL NOTE & ENTRIES: The following 3 figures I obtained when I was sick in the hospitable in the later part of 1994 or perhaps early 1995. They tried to makes things as fun as possible for the kids. Believe Me when it it Me when I was only 13 you never ever forget something like as I never had a "normal" teenage life as I was only 13 for a few months and went straight to 20 mentally, a lot of kids that has My condition went through the same thing!! Anyway, they had LIVE Bingo Games that you'd play through your little TV set. They'd have it live in a special room like it was a live TV show. It was actually really cool & fun. I won many things there. How you did it when won you'd call'em in the room and you'd hear yourself right during that broadcast. I was really lucky this time because I won three Kenner Starting Lineup Figures that I wasn't going to be a fool by passing these guys up :)

I got Joe Magrane who was a St. Louis Cardinals but I never saw him play. He was a Pitcher. Look at how his jersey is, it looks so good with the Red Birds and he has a great likeness as well from 1990 :!:

I also got 1994's Mark Langston. Now I would see him in many games when he Pitched for the San Diego Padres & Cleveland Indians in 1998 & 1999.. He has a great likeness & pose and is a California Angel here :) I had expressed My love for the film Angles in the Outfield... I'd win him and then sometime later I'd watch the film many times over there as well. Now I don't know why but I wasn't happy with the color of his base so I had My Grandma paint it, apparently i was still going thru that phase like I did with My Dor Mei Kajiu from the Baazar I recently showcased :?

Same thing here with the painted base. Last is 11994's Albert Belle, I would see him mostly as a Chicago White Sox & Baltimore Oriel in 98 - 2000. He was was mostly a leftfielder but truly a five-tool player and one of the best hitters ever. This likeness is quite decent and look at his Cleveland Indian jersey... it looks so authentic for these times :batsmile:

Now here is My Starting Lineup Rose & Bench 2-Pack 1989 Copyrights :!:

As for My bonus ones that I won during Bingo at the hospital, here is their 1990 & 1994 Copyrights :!:

Here is My Starting Lineup Group together, look at how cool they look, so awesome to see Vintage Baseball Toys ;)

Here is a brief look at 2 different Kenner Action Guides that features Starting Lineup. Like I said before, I regret not really getting into them during those times but at least I have what I have :) When you look at how wonderful Kenner was back then it just reminds you of the times and show Me anything that can even remotely defeat this now :!:

So here is a Starting Lineup Size Comparison with SL's Joe Magrane with My previously seen 1984 Kenner DC Superpowers Superman and My 1990 WWF Hasbro Hulk Hogan v2 :batsmile:

SPECIAL BONUS!!

Kenner's Pete Rose meets Jakks Pacific's WWF Kane :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: In this super bonus of the meeting of the Red Machines, this was a cool feature that I wanted to do because of Rose's involvement in the WWF/WWE and having a major yet funny angle with Kane and eventually becoming a WWE Hall of Famer, something that MLB will never do and this figure of The Red Monster is from 1998, 25th Anniversary :batsmile:

That's right, SHAQ ATTACK :o This is actually a bonus entry as he really isn't part of the Starting Lineup series however it was his own and he's a sports icon. Now I really wasn't into basketball either during these days though I still regret not wanting to watch it when My Grandpa wanted to :roll: So the only basketball stuff I could get into was NBA Jam for the classic video game consoles as I mentioned & spotlighted in My topic. I knew of Shaq because he was a rising star that rose really fast. Even if you didn't really know the sport you knew of him cause he was everywhere and in movies too...kinda of a scenario like Michael Jordan & Dennis Rodman. I played his great EA's Shaq Fu! games as well. So I liked him cause he was really a giant and he was really one of a kind and yes that name is short for Shaquille O'Neal by the way. So I saw this series over at My local K-B Toys in Our counties and I thought they were pretty nifty in around 1993 which is the year this fine series came. However I didn't get any then as I just wasn't interested and I regret not getting a ton of great figures back then in the good year cause I was just dense I mean there was lines like Demolition Man & Last Action Hero for an example as I have pointed out in PB's Toy Commercial Topic :roll: So fast forward to the year 1997, Me & My Grandma were out and about doing Our rounds like We usually did. One day I believe it was in the The Fall, We went to Schnucks on Loughborough as usual to shop for Our groceries and stopped by the vending machines as always and We noticed that the old gal filled them up (The Mexican didn't take control of them yet till about two years later or so) and I noticed a big Shaq figure in the jewelry machine on the card and I wanted him bad and keep in mind this is 1997, not 1993 so these figures were all being discontinued especially since 1997 was actually Kenner's last year of existence before Hasbro shut them down completely which is another weird year scenario like I said earlier on within the showcase :? So after putting a couple of bucks in there We realized that the screws in the claw was loose. We weren't the veterans that We became of this hobby yet, We were still grasshoppers and not wise to their tricks yet. If your unfamiliar with My time at vending machines then you need to go to My Odds & Ends and see My Incredible Belt Buckle Collection that We got out of the jewelry machine as I explain it all and My times with My Grandma as well, you will most likely read & see very few experiences from anybody at anytime like that believe you Me and I'm quite grateful for those experiences & items :!: So I bet We put in about $20 and only picking him up a few times as he fell to the gravel :roll: It was very frustrating that We did that and nothing to show for it :roll: I kept on thinking about it when We got home and so did she cause We never leave anything alone until We're satisfied or forced to let things go :!: So We went back a while later and We were at it again, I don't know how long it was but I know We were standing there for a long time, seemed darn like an hour at best and BANG! WE GOT HIM :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: This was truly one of the most memorable items I ever got out of that jewelry machine and I got a lot of stuff out there that I love! So he became the talk of the house for that night and became a big display piece in My room. I have misplaced his cool packaging long ago however here he is still in great condition as neat now as he was way back then in 1997 :)

As you saw he's huge especially for a Kenner Sports Figure that is a standard issue. The big physique looks really good and he has a tremendous likeness and in fact it really still stands out today. I really like his pose. He moves at the neck, shoulders & waist. His clothing really rocks. They made many different versions of him but IMO this was the most ideal variant of Shaq because he's an All-Star here and I love All-Stars plus he's wearing My favorite color BLUE :batsmile:

As I mentioned he's an All-Star and he's totally licensed of the NBA :!: He's #32 here. Now The Stand that is included with him looks great and is a shape of a star and he's on there via a long metal pin that's connected in his huge size 22 shoe that plugs into his really nice display star base and he can swivel on it too :!:

So here is the assembly and notice the soft tip at the end of the rod, this provides a nice tug fit and he never topples over, talk about such great quality :)

Here is his Mine O'Mine Copyright which is his company along with the 1993 NBA Copyright. As usual there is no Kenner Copyright and as you saw above with Starting Lineups there wasn't either...even when Hasbro made the line in the late 90s & early 2000s they never did and I never knew why :?

So here is Shaq with My Starting Lineup Group see showcased above. There can see how much larger he is in size comparison. Now keep in mind he did get his own entry in that series, this Shaq Attack figure was just a bonus series that they made and really to be honest it's one of the most radically underrated ones that Kenner ever produced :shock:

SPECIAL ENTRY & SIZE COMPARISON!!! So 1993 marks many great anniversaries of all kinds, not only does this Shaq figure have a 30th anniversary but also the film franchise of Jurassic Park as well and Kenner made them as well :o I was a huge JP fan during 93 and My Grandparents got all that they could for Me for Christmas. Now i will only make exceptions of going out of bounds and showing stuff from the 90s at the moment like I have just done if deem it necessary which as you see it was quite needed for Me to showcase because of Shaq's 30th and just in case I'm not in time you can count this as special hint of Jurassic Park's 30th Anniversary in figure form cause at least i presented a tiny bit here with Dr. Alan Grant & The Stegosaurus so take a gander at this fantastic Kenner history :)

Look for a special Baseball showcase to coincide with this one over at My Modern Action Figure Topic as it will be My McFarlane Mark McGwire Big League Challenge & Hasbro Mark McGwire Starting Lineup, this was during the time was I was a huge fan of the sport .Do not rush through it as it is a tremendous visual journey down memory lane on one of the greatest time ever of all-time and while your there you can seen so much other great stuff too including McFarlane's Spawn located at this link ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/post47286.html#p47286

So I hope you were surprised here and that you liked what you seen read here of My Kenner Starting Lineup & Shaq Attack figures with My stories as well:) We shall see what My next plan is cause I'm getting to the nitty-gritty here for Vintage Action Figure Topic, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu May 25, 2023 1:22 pm

Oh, the dreaded yellowing of white plastic. I hate when that happens. Some of my 25th Joes had that happen to them like Shipwreck. I shudder to think what my DCUC figures might look like if I ever unpack them. That's some ames from the past Joey Albert Belle, Mark Langston (I always thought of him as a Mariner), Joe Musgrave. I loved Starting Lieups when I was a kid. I had mostly NFL< but some baseball, Will Clark, Bo Jackso, Strawberry, Lenny Dykstra.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri May 26, 2023 6:42 am

Yep, I don't have much but it is a decent lineup. Thanks for the reply PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: M.U.S.C.L.E. MEN!!!

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:50 am

BrandonDaCollector wrote:
Here is Turbo's Tickles which was a joke section. Holy cow, it's M.U.S.C.L.E. Men :shock: This was during the time when Kinnikuman was getting RED HOT in the USA and Mattel got the license to make the figures. The ad shows you that 1 figure is inside a Nestle Quik and the catch is there is 233 of'em...WHAT :batshock: :smsmh: :wwsmh: Wow did Nestle get rich or what and no pun not intended there. Since I'm on the subject, I have a very big collection of these guys that I got during this point of time which soon I hope to showcase them a very big presentation that your not gonna want to miss at all :!: So there's the back cover of the Go-Bots magazine. It shows a wonderfully done pictorial of the The Rock Lords. Also, here is the back cover of the Go-Bots Golden Book as well

That quote of Mine is from a long while back when I posted My huge Go-Bots & Rock Lords showcase. I don't know if anybody thought holy crap Brandon, you actually got those guys or what :? I always go back on My stuff and like to relive it all over again and I'm gosh, I can't believe that I actually did this :o I don't know why others don't like to see or go back on their own creations like Danny Elfman & Brian Cox, I always thought that was rather really silly as it tells Me that anybody that does that really doesn't have the passion of what their doing :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: So with that being said and if you have been following Me since I started this wonderful topic you should know by now I'm all about Vintage stuff & persevering history as best as I can, if you haven't then little grasshoppers, you got a lot of catching up to do :batwink: My Mattle M.U.S.C.L.E. Man showcase is upon My Vintage Action Figure right now :!:

Now this one here is going to be very special. It's Mattel's M.U.S.C.L.E. Men - Kinnikuman finally after all of this time I'm showcasing them :o :shock: :batshock: :wwshock: :smgasp: Your gonna see what really got My attention about wrestling when I was a youngster. That picture you saw above in My quote I believe is THE ONE where the "spark lit" My inception and I was like I WANT THOSE GUYS NOW :batsmile: Well My Mom knew this so she got Me a ton of'em at her old great house that I loved and think about often. I had said before that she worked at Venture and it was just a few blocks away. She got Me the ones in the small container. I could only locate one of'em but hey, that's all I need for history's sake :batwink:

Oh I recall seeing these wonderful little clear trash cans over at Venture like it was yesterday. You can see how you open it up. Yes, there's a Venture Price Sticker there that she tore. She & My Grandma did that a lot because they didn't want Me to know the prices because I knew mathematics even at this tender young age of 5 or so before I was in Kindergarten but they'er the ones that taught Me however and I said times before, I was a smart kid always teaching My friends stuff :shock:

Here's what My local Venture looked like, I have showcased and talked about them countless times here on the board because they were arguably My favorite store to be at and I never, ever want them to fall into oblivion :!:

So M.U.S.C.L.E. (Millions of Unusual Small Creatures Lurking Everywhere) - Kinnikuman was also in packs & box sets as well. She actually got Me at a lot at JCPenny's Catalog Division too which more on that in bit. Here is My entire collection, I am not naming these little guys one by one, you can check out the databases online for further information of the M.U.S.C.L.E. Men's identities. most are flesh colored however some are different colors because you know, Mattel had to come up with a way for variants. Yo can clearly see why Mattel chose to do this licensed because hey, many of these were craze of the 80s such as lizard, crab, beast,robot/cyborg, rock, & multi-armed deity-like people hence characters that were like in MOTU and what a coincidence they got the WWE license about two decades later :o I do have duplicates but I'm not showing them off. Overall I don't have'em all but I do a good number of'em ;)

Here is the main lineup roster of the bunch which they are on the Ring behind them :!: :shock:

Now here is The Ring :!: Yes I have the Ring She couldn't find it over at Venture but saw it in her JCPenny Catalog along with figures so she hurried up and ordered it for Me :) Gosh I miss the days when you could do this, it felt so much more special than these current times of net. The Ring Announcer is arguably the most important figure to get if you have the Ring because even then I wanted the realism, imagine how much more the WWF LJN & Hasbro figure series' would have been had they made "The Fink" Howard Finkel, give kudos for Jakks attempting that in the mid to late 90s :shock:

Now the Ring is in great condition however I lost the silver ropes so I had the idea of putting rubber-bands on there instead which worked marvelously but I wasn't pleased with the color so just rather recently I had My Mom paint them because not only is she better at the custom stuff than I am but I also wanted to reminisce a few moments of the great past that We had together all of those decades prior which this looks so darn good now :)

Now notice that the Ring's Joysticks' Knobs are Blue & Red. This predates WWF/WWE's Raw & vs. SmackDown concept by over a decade then again Red & Blue has always been a duo of opposites such as politics for a great example :shock:

The Ring has a bit of a Arcade & Rumble Robots feel & vibe about it as you clamp your wrestlers into the claws and move the joysticks in all directions and whom ever falls out of the claw first loses :!:

Here is the bottom of the Ring with it's Copyright :)

As a bonus here is a cool example of M.U.S.C.L.E. Men's really simple yet fun display :batwink:

Here's M.U.S.C.L.E. - Copyright. Notice how coolly raised & sculpted that is and yes that is 1985 and 1983 which was 40 years ago this year, isn't that hard to believe :batshock: :wwwink: :smgasp:

Special Size Comparison :!:

Here is Kinnkuman with My previously seen Hulk Hogan Pencil Gripper that I got around the same time that truly green-lit My love & passion for WRESTLING :!: You can tell there is a size difference yet flesh colored :batwink:

Here is Kinnikuman with other great previously seen stuff of Mine by Mattel such as GUTS! & Fisher-Price's Adventure People as well as Panosh Place MOTU Mer-Man Eraser Figure :!:

Here is a cool display of some My previously seen Mattel figures within the topic of Boglins, Bravestarr, MOTU, GUTS & Fisher-Price's Adventure People, soon I will show My 1989 NA He-Man in much greater detail in a major showcase...now look at that :!:

The Past meets the Future in this comparison of the 80s & 90s is how Mattel's Kinnikuman measures up with their totally awesome Mega Heroes consisting of Judge Dredd & Cyber Force which is one of My all-time favorite action figure series'. It was so cool how Mattel made little figures so fun :batsmile:

SUPER SPECIAL BONUS ENTRY!!!

So along with My M.U.S.C.L.E. Men My Mom also got Me this from JCPenny's Catalog :)

I have kept this together and it's been in My mind nearly 40 years. I had mentioned earlier that I was being taught things before I went to school, (heck I was already a veteran of Commodore 64 years before I got My NES) My Mom saw this, she thought it would help Me further at My young age and it did. It's called Alphabet Scoop and it's a VHS Tape with a great deluxe Vac-Metal Box :!: There was Sesame Street & Mr. Rogers and then there was THIS :batsmile: I have seen so little of this online so I don't want this to fall into limbo :)

Along with the VHS Tape it has also a bonus Beep, Beep Book. Notice the 1984 School Zone Publishing Copyright :batsmile:

ImageImage

Here's the VHS Tape. The Label has come off due to age but I always keep it in it's box as I never want it to get lost. Notice the 1985 School Zone Copyright :batsmile:

Now here is the Sticker of JCPenny Catalog, look at that wonderful history there :)

Now believe it or not, somebody actually ripped the VHS and put it on Youtube, seeing this in recent times of course brings back the memories but dang, in ways I see it was kinda harsh but still fun none the less :)

So here's My Alphabet Scoop with My M.U.S.C.L.E. Men & Ring that My Mom got Me from JCPenny Catalog and gosh I am so thankful that I was able to put this all together because it means a lot to Me :)

Wow, I cannot believe that I just made this, that is truly unbelievable what I just did :o I hope you were surprised with this one. Next will be a spinoff continuation of M.U.S.C.L.E. Men that will deal with another series that came out during this time by another company that I crossed over with them time & time again, until then I'll see you around :batgrin:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Toy Discussions