Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

We'll Return After These Messages...Commercials!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: We'll Return After These Messages...Toy Commercials

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue May 02, 2023 6:18 am

Vaguely remember those...

Remember Romper Room? I still remember the song...

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue May 02, 2023 9:13 pm

Really? Hmm, Romper Room aired until 1994 according to their wiki. Might just not have been in your area or you just didn't catch it, I guess.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed May 03, 2023 4:34 am

How about that, well I posted My showcase about them that you can check out when you can :)

No I don't. The Weebles and Romper Room was before My time. That looked fun and that teacher with the kids scene was pretty nice, gosh I miss those days when things was like that, I know cause I experienced it in school and stuff :roll: Really good PB :)

NOTE: I deleted My post earlier because of reasons...it belongs to your reply above :) No, I still don't recall it, that maybe the case ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed May 03, 2023 12:33 pm

I wouldn't say you missed much. It was just another Mr. Rogers,/Reading Rainbow type toddler show way before Nick Jr. came around. I don't even really recall actuall episodes but I still know the song so I must've watched enough of it, lol.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu May 04, 2023 7:18 am

I see. Now i used to watch Mr. Rogers and Reading Rainbow when i was little along with Sesame Street. There was a couple more too, I see about tanking about them later.

I never knew about Mr. Magnet. I love Magnets and I think I would have a ball with that!

With this stuff you just gave Me a little idea, I'll post a little kids show intros that I saw on PBS when was a youngster...first Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. I thought this was pretty back then when I was little :)

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu May 04, 2023 1:01 pm

Classic. I was never a big fan of Mr. Rogers as far back as I can remember.

I never owned one of these, look how big that beauty looks!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri May 05, 2023 5:41 am

That Shuttle was huge, now that was toy, it looked so accurate too and it was indeed a beauty...sweet PB :)

Oh, Mr. Rogers wasn't My fav either but when there wasn't other the shows on or if he was on before Sesame Street of whatever then I'd watch his show ;)

You spoke of Reading Rainbow, that was a great one. I loved the intro. I actually knew LeVar Burton here before I knew him from Star Trek the Next Generation. I was like look at the the black guy with the visor, that's the guy on Reading Rainbow :o There's full episodes on YT :)

Speaking of Mr. Rogers, here is a crossover that actually happen :shock: :batsmile: :wwwink: :smgrin:

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:28 am

RR was another I didn't really watch much but knew the song. Funny, I wasn't into ST:TNG either, but I recognized LeVar.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat May 06, 2023 6:43 am

I see. More to come later but first since it's Revenge of the Fifth, I'll post about what you said then continue with My own. That's what I was talking about before when BK had the SW ROTS stuff. My local BK on Grand across the street from Arby's where the other National was and also just a wee bit down the street from where Ben Franklin & Sears was not to mention the great K-Mart area a bit further around the corner (which all this is all gone now :roll: They had a big display of SW stuff there including a big stand up of Darth Vader from the film and stickers/decals on the doors & windows. While I never got any of those toys in that great commercial but it was a cool time none the less as it was one more bonus thing anticipating the film cause believe Me, I did a ton during 2005 about that movie :)

Now here's this special. There's really not that much online about it on video. I don't know if you were a part of and experienced Toys "R" Us' Star Wars MIDNIGHT Madness :?: Well I was a part of the last main one in 2005. It was a huge deal. I talked My Grandma & My Auntie Wanda into taking Me since I didn't have a ride. My Grandma stayed up late anyway but My Auntie Wanda really didn't but she made this exception for Me, she did lot Me which you'll see in time, just remember about My Auntie Wanda :) MiMi knew all about this, the prequels and everything because of Me (I mean heck, she got Me most of My Vintage Kenner Figures when I was 2 & 3 three years old for cry'in out loud so yeah she knows SW!) and I was really trying to get Wanda into it as well. She was just an average fan but I mean I was teaching her the stories of the films, EU, music, species & characters and like I said before I wanted to show her the great video games but she always said no and I'm like why do people do that, somebody is trying to show them something great that they can have a ball with :roll: So I wanted to go to the TRU on Lindbergh that shared it's building with CompUSA because this one was nearly twice the size of the one you saw in My McMahon deal :shock:

So the night finally arrived and I'm really euphoric about this cause really I had no idea how it was going to be I mean this ain't no regular late night trip to Walmart when hardly anybody is there which I prefer it that way, I loved shopping late at night when the stores have very few people in them, I'm talking 11 PM to 2 AM but that's way back in the day I'm talking about here. So We got there about 11:30 PM and there's a ton of people in line and We're like holy cow, look at the size of that line and the parking lot was nearly filled and this is a huge lot. IDK if you can tell by the pic of that former TRU above but that area was massive. Me & MiMi got out and Wanda parked her car. So We're in line and people's acting nuts and all that crap and even one guy was walking up and down the line really begging to get to the front of it and he was so desperate he said he'd do sexual favors but he used the language and all of that and I'm like oh My :shock: I'm only 24 at this time and I know what the heck he meant and I'm like are you for real and yes he was :wwsmh: :smsmh: I don't know if My women I was with caught on to that cause they never said anything about it nor did I. So it was finally time, the door-bustin' happen and I saw those SW: EP5 ROTS toys and I grabbed a gob of'em and I got mostly everybody I wanted, I really wanted Aayla Secura the most and I snagged her up quickly. It was an extremely hectic time and really as much I loved & knew SW since I was a youngster, I never experienced anything like that before. I mean TPM was huge with all of the promotional stuff and AOTC was big but I believe ROTS was the biggest of all. There's not that many people out there that you can talk to about this event at this very second that experienced this and will share it like I do :)

So this is the only video I came across so really this is the only video I found which it's pretty good. It's fairly decent and you can tell how it was then. Things was still pretty cool. Watching it makes Me kinda relive My time there because even though this is California, I can relate a lot to it because it looks a lot of what I experienced. Too bad I didn't film My experience but I recall it very well. It was at night like that and a bit chilly. I can't believe these people were the for 6 hours :o It seemed like everybody was civilized here and behaving well, I cannot say that on the crowd I was with :batsmh: :wwshock: :smsmh: See all of those figures in the cart :?: I had My cart filled possibly even more than that and at 3:13 when you see that guy holding up that book, I already got that book at Schnucks on Loughborough before hand and My Auntie Wanda would pick up that 12" Darth Sidious he had there too later and yes same thing with one of Grievous' guards too as you saw before in My great SOTE fan fiction display. I have no idea how much I spent, I know it was plenty despite SW toys was still cheap then. Hasbro was really putting them out and the series really looked great. IMO nobody of this generation knows what a true SW experience is till they took part in TRU's Midnight Madness and while those days are long gone I probably wouldn't want to do this again because it was so chaotic but I am quite thankful that I did experience it and that it was with My Grandma MiMi & My Auntie Wanda :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat May 06, 2023 9:16 am

I never did a midnight movie opening sale. The closest I can come is waiting in line for Black Friday at Toysrus years ago to get some toys for my kids when they were really young. Normally for most of my adult life I had to work Black Friday so I never really got to experience it. It was crazy, but nothing too bad. I did also happen to stop a Toysrus once before they ahd opened. I was about 10 minutes early. Usually I don't go to stores when they would first open like that because I hate seeing and dealing with scalpers and crazed collectors. I'm not even sure what was so great coming out that morning but there were maybe 10-12 people waiting at the door so I sat in my car until it was right about to open. I was no rush to get in but the few guys in front kind of pushed their way into the store and then one of them "accidentally" bumped the other into a toy bin, lol. I couldn't believe adults would act that way, but having worked retail for years, nothing surprises me anymore. I miss 24 hour Walmart. All the ones around here have closed at 11 since the 'rona. Though I was in Kohls the other noght and they annpunced they were going back to regular store hours of 9AM-10PM, they'd been on shorter hours of 10-9 the last few years, so maybe Walmart will shift back again soon. Who knows?

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions