Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

We'll Return After These Messages...Commercials!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: We'll Return After These Messages...Toy Commercials

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:06 pm

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:48 am

That was a superb commercial and one of the greatest things that Hasbro did of that nature. I recall it like yesterday when I first saw the live action G.I. Joes like that it was quite awesome because they did so little before that with Slaughter & "The Fridge" when it came to live action/real motion picture stuff. I find this so much more satisfying than the love action movies in rent times. I know it may look like coplaying or whatever but this was actually serious for this time and it was really paying an authentic homage to the actuak product I mean it should, it was by Hasbro. This was in 1993, unreal that it's the 30th anniversary already :shock: It was so fun seeing these on the pegs of stores like Grandpa Pidgeons, Venture, TRU & K-B. These figures were really cool but kinda different with gimmicks, action features and going beyond the elements of what kids were used to from Joes for years & series' prior because this had a big sci-fi theme and with outer-space & monsters which I really liked. they also had a trading card of the movie versions seen in that commercial as well. Like I said before I didn't take care of My Joe collection :roll: Of course the 80s were great with 86, 87 & 88 were great Joe years however I loved the 90s Joes, 91 & 92 are arguably My favorite series'. I could tell in 92 Joes was going in different places and sure enough they did a year later. Sadly this was really the last of the RAH line because Hasbro was supposedly running out of ideas for their product however they did get the braniac idea (cause hey, their not corporate locusts for nothing!) of getting other licences that was really popular and putting them in scale with G.I. Joe to continue the line. #1 was Capcom's Street Fighter II in 94 which actually made sense in ways especially in Hasbro's POV because it has a similar story with army, fighters and a bad dictator villain that is unstoppable! I was pretty excited about it because I was already a major Street Fighter fan having most of the games on SNES & SG. I do have some of these figures and I'll showcase them in time.

#2. Hasbro got Mortal Kombat too in 94 which was a huge plus for Me because like SFII, I was already arguably even a bigger fan. This was actually ideal because of the fighters & ninjas that would fit right in with Joes! Oh and of course you got a crossover of MK vs. SF which was so darn awesome cause if you were a gamer in the 90s and loved both games there was always a debate which is better, funner and all that. Kinda like Nintendo & Sega, WWF & WCW, Ford & Chevy etc. It was quite huge to do that :!: Unfortunately I never could get these figures, they were quite rare in My area.

So after that the 3 3/4" RAH line was done. Hasbro would go a different route for Joes come 1995 which I'll post about that tomorrow ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:48 pm

I was out of toys by then, so I never saw the SF figures.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:39 am

I see PB. I never seen that Stop Thief before, that looked mighty fun. Dang 1979 :o

So in 1995, Hasbro extended their G.I. Joe line made and it into Sgt Savage and his Screaming Eagles. It was WWII themed. They made him larger than the 3 3/4" figures so I always pretended him to be a giant when I'd play and display them. I only have him and and I do have the VHS tape too and it looks just like that :)

I just wasn't into these guys, I made some foolish choices back then :roll: Here's this second commercial :)

I got one more entry for tomorrow ;)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:27 am

I've never really seen much from that era.

The strength of any commercial is how memorable it is. I found myself randomly singing this song yesterday for no reason so I guess if I remember the lyrics to a 30 year old commercial we would consider the theme a success.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:39 am

Yeah I really didn't either, just some. That is the truth, I think it stuck with you because it's a child's version inspired by the old song called Yankee Doodle Dandy which is an old fashion classic American Traditional Song ;) I actually never seen that before and really I don't think I ever saw that Tyco Magna Doodle either. Tyco was still their own company in 1990, Mattel didn't take them over till 1997 and ended them. This toy looked really creative and fun, very cool PB :)

OK, here's this. G.I. Joe Extreme! These came out in 1996 and I remember seeing these on them on the pegs at Walmart (next to Kenner & Hasbro's SW: POTF 2 & SOTE figures + Jakks' WWF BCA Series 1 Figures!) and I'm like look at these G.I. Joes, they look nothing like the originals, what is going on here :shock: This was another example of what mean about how things were really changing in 96. Me & Mom were shopping late as usual cause like I had explained before in My Playing Card Game showcase in My Odds & Ends, We shopped a lot back then and We liked going late at night with hardly anybody there, the store is to Ourselves with new stock and all that which I so miss them days. I was a bit interested in these new figures and She's like ok put'em in the cart. Now I only got two of these which is first versions of the G.I. JOES' leader LT. STONE and the S.K.A.R.'s leader IRON KLAW. I'll showcase them once I get to the 90s in My Vintage Action Figure Topic. I never really wanted to collect them. Now these were actually made by Kenner...yes KENNER actually made G.I. Joe figures, Hasbro apparently let them do it before Hasbro retired them completely :roll: Now these are large figures, much larger than the standard Joes and even larger than the Sgt. Savage I provided yesterday and speaking of him he's in this series which he had a scenario like Captain America and is now in WWIII which is cool that they crossed him over with Extreme :o They were styled like Kenner's previous other action figures really with about 5 POA and with action figures and are in scale with some of'em. In fact I have crossed them over some line before even with Habro's WW figures! Here's the commercial :)

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:47 pm

I wasn't even paying attention to toys by then. I remember seeing GI Joe Extreme cartoon on TV one day and wondering what the hell I was watching, lol. Cartoons around that era were trying to incoporate computers too much when they really weren't ready. Like that awful Silver Surfer cartoon.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:36 am

Oh now there was a lot in the 90s that I regret not getting to and obtaining. The computer thing is that this was during the time when it was really starting to be for the days of everyday life we know now. Now look how it is, this generation is obsessed with it and us elders well... :roll: Computers was in cartoons long before that I mean look at MOTU & Transformers in the 80s, there was a ton of movies that were all about computers during that time as well and many years prior .

I never saw that Lego commercial. I stopped being involved with Lego in the very early 90s. I kinda regret it then I don't. That commercial was really cool PB :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:23 am

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:56 am

Oh I recall that Lego commercial, that one is a classic indeed :!:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions