Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: This thread has not yet been rated...MOVIE TRAILERS!

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:24 am

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:45 am

Like I just said in your Zen topic PB, I never watched Venture Brothers but I'm glad that you found out that they did a new movie this year PB :) This trailer was very cool and like I said, the animation looks really crisp and that there's very little CGI here that they went old school :)

OK, here's My big special one I've been talking about off on and I hope you like it and were maybe even waiting for it ;)

Oh boy, finally here is the one I've been waiting to do. First off here's a edited quote from My great showcase that I did last year of one of My most grandest showcases of all in My Odds & Ends called Glory Days of Movie Rentals, it's one of the most imperative showcases I've ever done and one that is a must see & read for anybody who loved the days of when you could walk into a store and feel the fun of renting and/or buying movies & video games. If you ever had at least one special moment then you should not hesitate to check this out and I plan on updating it with new material sometime soon so there's that news and you can check out the entire presentation plus a whole lot more here ---> http://www.dctoyrevolution.org/general-toy-discussions/my-odds-ends-insane-keychain-t1176-40.html

BrandonDaCollector wrote:
Rainbow Video was the first one I ever went to. They were just down the street from where We lived during this time. My Grandma discovered it because it was right across the street from Tru-Buy whom I have already presented before. I was going with her during these great times and she told Me "Angel", they got movies and like a little happy spoiled brat I wanted to go there. It was a happy place that was only run by one woman, shame I don't recall her name but she was younger and brunette I know. The place was quite small but she managed to make it big and it all looked good. I loved picking up the VHS boxes. I discovered many movies over there such as Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, Attack of the Super Monsters, Unico and much more. I had My Grandma MiMi rent Me Ghostbusters countless times as I have talked about before in My topics but there was one particular film that I found over there in the corner (I recall how the layout of the building was very well) , I absolutely loved the box and it was right up My alley...it was the underrated classic film from 1985 called My Science Project :o

I have adored this movie My Science Project and is in My top 10 favorite movies of ever of all-time.

So here is the building of what was once Rainbow Video. See, she was quite literally right across the street from Tru-Buy...recognize it from My National & Go-Bot showcases :?:

So there's the quote. Now follow Me here cause this is one of My most favorite films of ever, of all-time and arguably My favorite. I have watched this possibly even more than both Ghostbusters, Legend as well as Big Trouble in Little China and that's a lot :o In fact I just watched this for My Birthday along with Close Encounters of the Third Kind this year. I love to watch it then and/or for Halloween. This is one of the most underrated and unappreciated sci-fi comedies of all. Nobody ever talks about it. I've been on the web for decades and there is so little to be seen of it :roll: It really pains Me about stuff like this that plebeians truly don't know what the heck their missing and that their not preserving such great stuff of the past like this either :roll: Here's three posters I put together that I really like :)

Now the International version of the movie goes by a different name which is Time Busters because the critics compared it to be a deuce mixture combination of Back to the Future & Ghostbusters :o

My Science Project 13.jpg

Now here's another version of the poster, The movie has a decent cast that was really chosen well with the lead being John Stockwell. who plays Michael. His friend is Vince played by Fisher Stevens whom would be the funny Indian guy in Short Circuit. Mike's love interest and the female lead is Ellie played by Danielle von Zerneck and their lackey geek friend is Sherman played by Raphael Sbarge. Dennis Hopper plays the rebel school teacher Bob Roberts who is really a great character. Richard Masur plays the rugged Detective Jack Nolte. Barry Corbin & Ann Wedgeworth plays Mike's Father & Stepmother. There's a number of other familiar faces in the film including Robert DoQui as Desk Sergeant who would play the iconic Sgt. Reed in the RoboCop films :shock:

So what is 1985's My Science Project about :?: Well it's a teen science fiction comedy film. A UFO crashes in the Nevada desert in 1957. At a military hangar President Dwight D. Eisenhower makes his presence known. This is THE movie that cryptically "hints" at his treaty with the Greys :smgasp: I have seen so many Alien & UFO documentaries on TV as well as YouTube and I have never seen anybody and I mean anybody ever mention this scene nor movie and for so many years I'm like dang, hasn't anybody ever seen My Science Project before besides Myself, family and that little community on IMDb & YT :? I mean any UFO buff should check out My Science Project just for that scene because it's not only the beginning of the film and not only gold but for "the film" that cryptically shows you such important knowledge :o

So in 1985 Mike goes on a date with Ellie to search for science project and he finds "The Gizmo" Engine from the destroyed ship in 1957. Little do they know what it is and how powerful it. It's a time warp machine :o

Now there's a huge aspect that I absolutely loved when I was a youngster. I was really beginning to like & learn about stuff from the past and this movie really opened My mind about things and helped Me become the person I am as I type this. The Alien Engine caused a time spurt in the High School and it brought back Neanderthals, Ancient Egyptians & Roman Gladiators, Nazis, Viet Cong and even stuff from the future like Mutants of the Apocalypse :batsmile:

Now the big thing that really caught My attention was the picture of the T-Rex on the VHS Box seen above, I was so in awe at such a young age and when I saw that at Rainbow Video it was like I was destined for this, I recall seeing it on the shelf near her counter like it was last week, that's how special this was/is too Me :) The scene with the Dinosaur Tyrannosaurus Rex is really cool. I love the red sky and the volcano there with the Pterosaur flying around, this is still one of the most incredible scenes ever in a film IMO :)

I love the special effects, I so prefer these older types compared today's. Also there's another thing I really love in the film and that's the backgrounds & scenery. See, I was really developing some great interests & loves here when I was a youngster and I'm so glad about it. Many movies in the 70s & 80s had scenery like this which it seemed like it stopped come 1990 for whatever reason. I love seeing the Sun & lights behind the mountains and a lighted up town in the distance. With movies like Close Encounters & E.T. among others that has similar scenes, I feel My Science Project has the most impact, I always felt that way since I was little ;)

Now here's 3 VERY CRUCIAL NOTES that I must point out. During this time I was already a big Star Wars fan, I had the Vintage Kenner figures among other stuff that I have already greatly shown & talked about in My Vintage Action Figure Topic as well as My Star Wars Collection Topic. In this movie there is some mentions & homages of/to the franchise. First when we meet the main characters Mike, Ellie & Sherman, Ellie is working on a little reporting practice. She asks Mike how many times has he seen Return of the Jedi and he replies "I never saw Jedi" and Sherman acts shocked and says "he never saw Jedi" :o Also, the three Jockeys who are your usual scum bullies in school wear Star Wars Helmets during the sneaking and vandalism scenes wearing Darth Vader & Storm Troopers Costume Helmets. This was and still is yet another great example of how great SW was in the 80s. This movie is 1985 and it's still going on strong here ;)

Now in one cute scene, Mike hands Vince a Comic Book to make their school time go faster and check out what is new within it. When I first saw this movie, this is THE FIRST TIME EVER I saw the X-Men, I wouldn't get seriously involved with comics till 1989 and I wouldn't become a big X-Men fan till 1991 when I got the figures and I have explained in My topics prior. I find it astonishing that I believe that X-Men liking has always been there thanks to My Science Project :batwink:

This third one is really important to Me. Remember how I said about My childhood friends Timmy & Jenny that they gave Me their Father's Mego Batmobile and I posted pictures of how I theorized how they'd look now and in My Marvel Topic a while back :?: Well here's another one. I always liked Ellie, I always found her so sweet. Almost as sweet as Beverly in 1986's Howard the Duck. It would be in early 1990 I would get new neighbors and they would be siblings named Chasity & Eric. I befriended both of them. I was 9 at the time, they were both older than Me, she was 13 and he was about 15. They were really good teenagers. I really got involved with her right away, we just hit it off. I was too young to think of the boyfriend & girlfriend stuff however I thought she was so pretty. We did so much together like playing in the backyard, talking about stuff for hours etc. However I never told her how I felt about her though and I sometimes think what would have happen if I did :?: Really she was a like a big sister I never had really. So What she has to do with this is that she strongly resembled Ellie because she had long blond hair, glasses and her face was very much like her's. Sadly Chasity & Eric's Parents decided to move again in late 1990 and I never saw them again and I think off and on of all the times We had together. So whenever I watch My Science Project and I see Ellie I think of Chasity. Again, sometimes I believe I was destined about this too which is strange within itself, I always wonder and question a lot :)

Here's the original trailer, it's not very good quality however it's the original 35MM version and its still classic :)

Here's a great fan made trailer, remember when you posted Flight of the Navigator and I said I was familiar with that YouTuber PB :?: Well I knew because I had originally seen their great custom made trailer to My Science Project which i was quite surprised that they knew the film :shock: They use the great song & score and show some of the key moments of what makes the movie special ;)

So here we go with the music. The soundtrack was never released till 2014 which was a special edition by Intrada, I waited so darn long to get this because it's one of the funnest, most exciting soundtracks ever and one day I may showcase it along with the special DVD I have :)

First here's the title song My Science Project by The Tubes, it's such a great classic song and it fit the film so well :)

Now the score is so tremendous. It's by Peter Bernstein, he's the son of the late great Elmer Bernstein who did Ghostbusters in 1984. Peter is such a versatile composer. He composed the music for the Star Wars Ewok Movies so if you know that wonderful music then you might recognize his classic sound here plus at times he does sound like his Father Elmer :o So I'm posting a few tracks here to show how good he is, how the score varies so greatly and so on :)

Here's the Main Title. It's so great. You hear the main Alien Engine theme. When I first heard the first few seconds of this music when I first saw the movie when I was a youngster it really it hit Me, I mean it really touched Me and I've been like that ever since :)

In this cue, Bye Crystal, Hello Ellie it sounds very Rock n' Roll and then changes into a sweet sound melody because it deals with two different types of women ;)

This cue titled Base Chase is excellent, it's when Mike & Ellie are on the run after they find the Gizmo/Alien Engine :batwink:

So in this wonderful piece, the action continues and we hear the haunting Alien Engine Theme one more time :)

So there's My Science Project. I hope you liked this spotlight :) So are you familiar with it or not :?: If not I really recommend that you watch it. It's one of the classics that get's no recognition and that deserves it so much. There's a free copy on YT. If you have the time and all that I really recommended that you watch it on the big TV and not the Laptop, you would get the big picture and overall special fun that movie has to offer :)

My next big one that I'm doing will be Big Trouble in Little China, it's another great top favorite of Mine since I was a youngster :)
Last edited by BrandonDaCollector on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:14 pm

I never saw that one. Looks interesting, though. Maybe I'll give it a look. Definitely screams 80s, lol. Now Big Trouble is a movie I'm very familiar with, but I'll leave that for you.

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:44 am

I didn't think you saw it, there's so many people that hasn't. Of course it's 80s, it's one of the many classic movies that defined that decade :) It's way more than interesting PB. You know how you are about Casablanca or whatever else being your favorite, well My Science Project is like that to Me. Like I said, this movie really helped Me grow up the way I did and the quote that I began it with, that is such a special moment of Mine. Now also like I said, the movie begins with President Dwight D. Eisenhower "hinting" at his treaty with the Grey Aliens. Take another gander at that picture that I made :) For many, many years I have seen UFO documentary after UFO documentary on History, Discovery, Nat Geo, YT, Amazon, you name it and not one, not one ever used that clip nor ever mentions it, such opportunities never ever taken and really it has always displeased Me because it makes the movie not only have less exposure but it also withholds what the movie is trying to tell you :roll: :o Don't forget about this, your wife may even like this both of you may be like where the heck was this movie before Brandon spotlighted it :? :o Look at My spotlight again, if you decide to watch it, tell Me your thoughts and everything, I've never talked to anybody about it before outside My Family.

OK good, yes John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China is really My second favorite film, it's also quite special to Me as well :)

Now you posted Backdraft, I have briefly talked about that one off and on. It's a great film part of a lineup of really decent movies in 1991 like TMNT 2, Naked Gun 2, T2, Star Trek 6, SILT and also including Stone Cold I posted the other day. My Grandparents & I wanted to see Backdraft a lot. it was around May or June. It was at the Kenrick I've posted about before. I had seen so many movies and had so many good moments there including seeing Willow, Dick Tracy, Alien 3, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, Twister, ID4, The Relic and countless others. Several months after We saw Backdraft We saw Suburban Commando. I had mentioned it before that My Father worked there as a Projectionist and gave Me that great ROTJ Poster that I showcased that is still on My wall as I speak. Oh it was so good there and I had also said before that that whole area was fun as they had a nice Franks's Nursery & Crafts, a really cool Burger King and that awesome Humphrey Bogart Restaurant that We ate at many times but the most memorable time was when Me, My Mom and her boyfriend Kevin took My Grandparents there for their Wedding Anniversary and then We went to the Kenrick and saw The Addams Family and this was also 1991 :) It was such good times. I know you like Bogey PB, you would have loved that restaurant because it was filled with pictures of him all over the walls. One day I gotta see if I can showcase it somehow someway ;) I have also said that now this area is nearly unrecognizable now because after the show went out of business, they tore it down as well as most of the area including the Bogey Restaurant so most of that history is gone and so little of it is online and it really pains Me about this :x In recent times it was all replaced by a Walmart and a BioLife and some other stores that I have no interest in, it's really a sad thing when you went there all the time for years and then its all gone & changed and has has no history nor importance whatsoever :roll: This is what The Kenrick used to look like :)

OK, now back to Backdraft (sounds funny :lol: I mostly wanted to see it because of Kurt Russell, he was kinda of a little hero of Mine because of BTILC but I really had no idea about fire fighters and the dangers they take but this movie sure made Me learn about it. It has such a great cast and it's a very emotional film. I cried near the climax what happen to Kurt :( It's directed by Ron Howard. His composer partner James Horner was unable to do the music but he made sure his wonderful music was in the trailer. Watch that trailer again and listen to how magical that music is :) Now the music was actually by Hans Zimmer, when I first heard this in the film when We saw it at the show I thought it was Horner and I believe My Grandpa did to cause he loved Horner more than Me :o Gosh thinking of that really is something else going down memory lane :( When We read the credits We saw it was by Hans Zimmer and We're like wow, he sounds like Horner here and he was really new to Us despite he did Pacific Heights & Days of Thunder a year prior in 1990. Here's one of his tremendous cues from Backdraft :)

Now I don't know if you know this but they made a sequel long after this in 2018 which is 5 years ago this year. It was a big movie year and it was an absolutely enormous year for Independent films. It stars William Baldwin & Donald Sutherland whom was in the first one as you saw in the trailer. Here's the very short trailer for that one :)

IMPORTANT NOTE: When I used to see Firefighters at the stores such as Schnucks, I usually talked to them a little bit and say thanks for their bravery and help and that their the REAL LIFE SUPERHEROES :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:42 pm

I didn't know there was a Backdraft sequel. Did you talk about this Humphrey Bogart Restaurant before? I must know more.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:53 am

Double Feature Friday!!!!

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:17 am

Backdraft 2 was a fairly good film. Watch the first one first so your see how this stuff plays out in order. I never saw The African Queen. I had said before that Me and My Mom was watching the 007 James Bond films, We saw them all, We even saw the excellent 2022 concert of the songs & scores cause the music is so important for James Bond and it was so cool seeing the composers there. She wanted to watch the Pink Panther films next which coincidentally their MGM, UA & Sony Columbia as well and they are also known for their great scores as well. I was never interested in the Pink Panther films before, only the cartoons but so far the films are quite good, she has always loved them and she knows the music theme very well. I had said about watching the Austin Powers films too after The Pink Panther because it's similar like 007 in its comedic, spoofy, parodic ways cause We never seen the Austin Powers trilogy. So here's My little bit about the trailer. It looks good and funny and Elizabeth Hurley was the like new hot gal despite I had seen her before this 1997 movie. however first thing I noticed which was the music in the first part that is was Hans Zimmer's Broken Arrow, in fact it was the same cue that I provided when you posted that trailer. I'm probably one of the very few that noticed it. Now I have seen So I Married an Axe Murderer before, it was pretty good. This is when Mike Myers was becoming his own star without being Wayne from Wayne's World and without Dana Carvey. This was the first film I saw Nancy Travis in. She was really nice looking and kinda like the new gal. In a ways she was regular looking then she had this mild hottness about her. The music was fine by Bruce Broughton (Silverado, Tombstone, Tiny Toons). The movie came out in 1993 which this years marks its 30th anniversary :0

OK, yes I have mentioned this before but really only briefly like I did yesterday. I was wondering before why you weren't surprised when I first mentioned. I usually talk about it when I talk about The Kenrick Theatre because it all went in hand to hand in that area cause like I said, Me, My Mom and her boyfriend Kevin took My Grandparents there for their Wedding Anniversary and then We went to the Kenrick Theater and saw The Addams Family. That was in 1991. Really I cannot recall the name of it, I believe it was a simple name, I keep on thinking that it was called Mike's but I don't know. I've researched this area and there is so very little online about it's past. It's such a shame about it that so very few people are preserving their past :roll:

So you want to know more. OK so listen up, it was very fancy, one of the most classiest restaurants you could go to in My area and quite frankly anywhere for that matter. Now keep in mind I'm only about 10 to 12 years old here at all of these times I went there and while I don't remember everything I do recall a lot of it quite well thank goodness. When you first walk in it was quite big, almost like a Pasta House but there was pictures of Humphrey Bogart all over, I mean all sides of the place was covered with pictures of him. At this time I knew him very vaguely, I was different then. The owner was a huge fan and/or obsessed with Bogey. It had such a variety of food but being a kid I didn't eat like the adults did, no I ate their Pizza, Toasted Ravioli (St. Louis invented this great tasting appetizer) & Spaghetti and Garlic Bread. Really that's all I can tell you. I just asked My Mom about what the heck the name of the place was and she's like I'm the one that knows all of this stuff so I'm still searching after all of this time. Maybe one day I'll get lucky and find it online because it's one of the very few great places of My childhood that I cannot recall the darn name and with somebody like Me whom is trying to preserve the past and fight the future, it's quite frustrating to say the least and it doesn't help with so many people disregarding the past everyday and doing nothing to make sure it doesn't fall to oblivion :x

OK, now here's this of how it looks now or in recent times, it's really depressing :roll: ARE YOU READY :?:

So here's when you enter it, notice it says Kenrick there, at least the name is still present.

OK, compare this photo fro the one I provided yesterday, this where the Kenrick Theater WAS, now it's a place called BioLife which is a Plasma donation center that is called it twice because Bio means Life and Life means Bio on the left & Walmart is on the right :roll:

Here's where the Humphrey Bogart Restaurant WAS. They leveled the ENTIRE AREA for a plaza that has hardly any stores in business with really only a Aldi being there...also just a little further away there was such a memorable Burger King there plus a good Frank's Nursery & Crafts as well...this is horrible :!:

The only thing that is recognizable from My days as younger, teenager and young man is The Frisco Bridge, it's about 100 years old, possibly older now which I'm glad they left this alone...knock on wood ;)

So that's really all I can say about it for now. See, there's probably so many people that don't even know this restaurant even existed because the history is really fading away and then when you realize about how special stuff like this is then your like My goodness :roll: :batsmh: :wwsmh: :smsmh: Then there's people like you PB who didn't even know about it because your not in My area that would have loved it and never had a chance to :batwink: :wwwink: :smwink: See how this situation goes :roll: I do hope to find it online with info and pics. I hope there was at least somebody out there that preserved at least some of it and when I do I'll post here :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:09 pm

We had a place in the area called Rick's Cafe American based on the Casablanca set. It looked cool, but the food wasn't anything great and it closed down years ago.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:40 am

I see, well I hope there's more people thinking about that place other than you :roll: ;)

Steven King's Firestarter was quite good. I haven't seen it in a long while but I used to watch it with My Grandma, We didn't watch it like King's Silver Bullet all the time however this was one of many movies she introduced Me to about King. I had a small crush on Drew Barrymore when I was a youngster and she got pretty good as she got older. This was the first movie I saw David Keith in whom was also very good. George C. Scott is always good, always expect something great from him. The music was by Tangerine Dream, they were such a dynamic trio.

BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:05 pm

I read th book in high school. I don't think I actually ever saw the movie, or maybe I did after I read the book. I'm not even sure anymore, lol. Never saw the remake, though, I know that.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions