Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?????

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Stay Tooned!!!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:18 pm

I really wanted to post the next cartoon, but my computer is all wonky and randomly crashes and reboots. It's been doing it since yesterday and I'm too dumb to figure out why. I have a new computer my wife bought me a week or so ago because it was on clearance at Best Buy, but I haven't used it yet, so hopefully I can get things righted for tomorrow. Right now trying to post something long isn't possible. My wrestling post from yesterday took my three tries. I started the next cartoon post just now and after about thirty minutes it crashed and I lost it, so sorry for now. I know everyone is on pins and needles waiting.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:54 pm

Shame about that Packer, I hate PC probs and all of the frustration so I know where you are coming from :roll:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:42 pm

Well, haven't switched computers yet but going to give this a go and try something different here. Cool?

No, cartoon #28 was Cool...C-Double-O-L!

Seriously, was that Bobby Darin singing? That was a nifty ditty once it got going. I know what you're thinking, same thing I was, what the sam hill is Cool McCool? See, I didn't know either. Never heard it of it before. But I was prepping my new list and I wanted some older cartoons, so I looked up a list of toons from the 60's and saw Cool McCool, and said what's that? So I do a wikipedia search and I see "Cool McCool is a Saturday morning animated series that ran on NBC from September 10, 1966 to January 21, 1967, with three segments per show, in all consisting of sixty segments. It was created by Bob Kane..." Bob Kane? Yep, that Bob Kane as in...

So if you've been following along you'll realize that there''s very little new on TV as something is always a copy of something popular that preceded. There's a former bouncer in a popular tv drama as a partt of a group of do-good mercenaries? Ok, let's make a cartoon where he's with a bunch of gymnasts. Talking cars all the rage? Ok, let's make a Saturday morning cartoon where a kid can horrofically transform into a talking car to fight crime. Here's a refresher, avert your eyes!

Talk about junk in the trunk!

So the 1960s saw the start of a certain movie franchise starring a certain someone from MI6 codenamed 007. You may've heard of him?

And the popularity of those films gave rise to many spy shows of the 60s like I Spy, Mission Impossible, Man From UNCLE, The Avengers (not those guys, Stan), and Get Smart. And of course he popularity of those shows gave rise to cartoons like Secret Squirrel, Tom of T.H.U.M.B. (that's Tiny Human Underground Military Bureau--BUT! He was two inches taller than Inch High), and of course the reason we're all here, Robert Goulet (not really) as Cool McCool!

Cool McCool told the story of a top secret agent who often defeated the enemy depsite bungling his way through adventures ala Inspector Gadget, whom McCool preceded by over a decade. McCool often had to report to his boss, who was only seen from behind his chair and was known only as Number One.

That's unimportant right now, Mr. Powers, but funny you should pop up because you too were a riff on the popular spy shows of the 1960s.

McCool's rogues gallery included menacing foes such as The Rattler, The Owl (who?), Greta Ghoul, Dr. Madcap, Jack-In-The-Box, and Hurricane Harry (with all the wind he can carry!) and it doesn't take too much effort to see them as replication of certain villains of a crimefighting chiroptera. Each episode was comprised of three segments, the middle of which contained McCool reliving the exploits of his father, Harry McCool, who along with his brothers Tom and Dick (groan) were known as the Komedy Kops.

All of this of course is just stuff I'm reading off wikipedia, because like most of you, I've never seen this show. Heck, I never even heard of it up until a couple weeks ago, so here's where we're going to try something interesting. An experiment of sorts. Below I'm going to post a complete episode off of the youtube, and I challenge anyone still reading this thread to give it a watch and then share your thoughts and we'l see if Cool McCool is a forgotten gem someone needs to reboot, or if he's best left forgotten to history like The Gary Coleman Show.

No, not that show. This one...

Anyways, here's a full length episode of Cool McCool. Whatch it. Or don't. Do. Or do not. There is no try. Or lie to me and say you watched it. I'll never know. But he'll know...

Spoiler:

Go on, watch! Take The Cool McCool Challenge!

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:16 am

Gosh Packer, that was very cool and clever :lol: Amazing how you do this trivia stuff :!:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:42 pm

Hey thanks, Brandon. I usually just start writing and ideas and tangents hit me. I try to make them entertaining as possible. Did you watch the episode? I finally got my new computer going so I'm going to try and get through the rest of the list in the next couple weeks since we're going on vacation for almost two weeks in the middle of August. So probably do the next toon tomorrow. Stay tooned...
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:08 pm

Cartoon #29 wasn't something I went out of my way to watch, but sometimes you don't have much to choose from...

Davey and Goliath was an odd little show I remember seeing early on Sunday mornings. Back then I didn't really know why, but if you watch the intro you can clearly see it was sponsored by the Lutheran Church. So while the other channels (remember, there weren't then many back then) had stuff like Face the Nation dreck, home improvement shows with Bob Villa, or actual church services, the choices for a child for something to watch weren't exactly great. So, yeah, I'd sometimes watch. But man, I really didn't like Gumby.

Stop motion animation is kind of an interesting concept. If you've ever made a stickman cartoon flipbook in school because you were bored and drew a stickman moving on consecuitive pages of your notebook, you get the idea of how it works. Now doing it with clay figures and I can't even fathom how time consuming making just one episode of this show would be. So for that alone it deserves some recognition, even if the animation is a bit primitive. But think of all the great stop-motion Christmas classics from Rankin-Bass and try to imagine how long those took. Patience really is a virtue.

Coming off the success of Gumby, Davey and Goliath premiered in syndication in 1961, but it wouldn't be until 20+ years later that I saw it, so by then the stop animation style wasn't the most enticing of entertainment. But it ran from 1961-1965, then returned with some new episodes and holiday specials in the 1970s, and apparently there was a new special in 2004 called Cavey and Goliath's Snowboard Christmas that I've never seen.

Davey and Goliath followed the "adevntures" of Davey Hansen, and his dog Goliath, whom only Davey can hear speak, and to this day I can still hear him say, "Davey" in a way that you'll know what I mean if you remember this show at all. The fact only Davey can hear him eventually led to a rather humorless parody on MadTV back in the day...

Warning: mature content

Most of the episodes of Davey and Goliath dealt with issues of faith, it wasn't overly preaching in that it didn't outright mention the Lutheran Church outside of the intro, but it was a little tame and dry for a child of the 80s, and it was around that time when it started being dropped from commercial stations where it had been a weekend morning fixture for several decades. But hey, it lived on in the Dew!

And you haven't really made it until you've been parodied in a Simpsons episode:

And apparently the show had an Adultswim counterpart in Moral Orel though I never actually watched it, I remember seeing it in the tv listings...

Hey, maybe I grew up a better person having watched some of these episodes as a kid--so long as they don't find those bodies. I suppose I'll never really know, but maybe kids today could use more wholesome content like this. Maybe the world would be in better shape? Who's to say? I'm pretty certain my kids aren't picking up any morality lessons from Sponge Bob. I guess the closest thing to Davey and Goliath in recent years were the Veggietales. I never really watched it, but my kids got a Christmas DVD of the show years ago, and while it was religous, it wasn't unentertaining, and I think it was failry popular in t's day, so maybe there's still a place for this kind of programming?

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:59 pm

Your welcome Packer. I know what you mean. Sometimes it's like that with Me. No, YT vids don't show up on here for some reason and its the same thing when I upload them here :?: Do you have the same prob? But I searched there and saw it. I really wasn't familiar with it but I have seen some of it before. The animation reminds Me of the old Threes Stooges cartoon (remember that?) or the Pink Panther.

I'll look at your new one in a bit, gotta go for now :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:03 pm

Overall everything I post plays here for me. There's been one or two I've tried posting that show up as unable to be played outside of YT, but I replace those with something else. Not sure what the issue could be on you end. Maybe Acid cold help (the person, not drug).
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:05 pm

packerbacker180 wrote: Maybe Acid cold help (the person, not drug).

:lol: :batlol: :smlol: :wwlol:

Seriously I don't know what it is. If he could check it out then that would be good ;)

OK, just seen your new one. Great stuff dude :smsmile: I loved Gumby & Pokey, I believe I seen all of the episodes and specials. My Grandparents rented Me them on VHS from a great rental place called Movie King that you could rent your movies & video games for a week (Oh I loved them when was young, been out of business for 25+ years :( ). I think they also rented them for Me from elsewhere as well. In fact, when the time comes I will show My 2 old Gumby & Pokey figures in My vintage action figure topic! I seen a couple episodes way back but I never got into Davey & Goliath. The Simpsons is not My thing unfortunately.

NOTE: I don't know if you noticed it before or not but when you see the Jurassic Express tron and you see Luchasaurus, his mask is blue but later in it and when he comes out with Jungle Boy & Marko Stunt, his mask is green. Anyway, every time I see this it reminds Me of Gumby becomes I have seen the same thing with him were in some cases he is blue then in others he is green...I just thought I'd share that with you packer :)
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:14 am

I don't know what it was about Gumby, the simplicity of it, or just the claymation, I just couldn't get into it.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions