Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?????

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Let's Talk Toons!!!!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:03 pm

I think I'm going to compile another list like how I started, this way everyone has an idea of what toon I'll be doing next and maybe it'll spark a conversation before I even get to it. Going to think of some various shows from different eras, some I watched, some I didn't. Maybe we'l both learn something.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:31 pm

Ok, here's some more cartoons no one will mostly reply to, your mileage may vary...

18 Image

19 Image

20 Image

21 Image

22 Image

23 Image

24 Image

25 Image

26 Image

27 Image

28 Image

29 Image

30 Image

31 Image

32 Image

33 Image

34 Image

35 Image

36 Image

All of these are, of course...
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:36 am

Thanks for the info about JabberJaw, I think the comic cover is what I recently seen of him and why it looked familiar :?:

Ok, you'd be surprised as to whom would reply to what :lol: There is a few of them that I know and will talk about soon but one of them was truly a must for Me and that was Tiny Toons! I was thinking about posting about this the other day and well, here it is. Now, I liked it a lot but didn't faithfully watch the show, however, I watched one of the movies called Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation, I seen in it 1992 via rental store on VHS, just fell in love with it and asked My Grandma to buy it for Me at said rental store and she did in 92 and since then I have watched it countless times. I think it is one of the most hilarious movies ever made with really good and crisp color and clever moments. click this link if you wanna know more. IMO its truly a masterpiece and one of the last great animated features of classic times. If you know this one I could talk about this all-day and I'm not just saying that :batgrin:

Here is the poster of it.

The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:18 am

I know I've seen it, but it's probabky been two decades since and I don't recall anything specific about it. But Tiny Toons was one of my favorite shows when it aired, and I almost didn't include it because I figured it was too popular, but I wanted an assortment of eras. At first it was actually going to be Tazmania, but besides the theme, I don't really recall much about it and it wasn't something I watched regularly. But please, talk about the movie, as I'm sure it'll jar some memories.

And now my post is done...
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Webslinger » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:26 pm

Tiny Toons, heathcliff, Mr. T, Spiderman and his amazing friends, Inch high private eye, Clarence, Steven Universe, Gumball, Ren and Stimpy, Dexter's laboratory, Power puff Girls among others were just fun to watch
Webslinger
News & Reviews
News & Reviews

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:43 pm

Clarence was a show my kids watched when it first came on and I didn't really like it at first. The animation was blocky, and it's a little on the strange side, but by the end I think I enjoyed it more than they did. It's charming in it's oddness, and my oldest son reminds me so much of Suumo, lol. I'll talk more about it when I get to it. I'd love to hear people talk about cartoons I haven't brought up yet!
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:04 am

I added a couple to the list because they were ones I had intended to do but my wife called me from work in the middle of composing the list and then I forgot to add them. So there you have it, the next month or so of cartoons. Some good. Some bad. Some WTF. Stay tooned!
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:47 pm

Alright, cartoon #18 came to us in 1985 as part of the Sunday morning cartoon block known as The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera...

The Paw Paws were a tribe of Native American bears who defended their vilage from the Meanos, another tribe that was always seeking to take over the village thanks to their leader, Dark Paw. The Paw Paws themselves were a lot like the Smurfs, possessing names that denoted characteristics of each so you had Wise Paw, Princess Paw Paw, Brave Paw, Mighty Paw, Laughing Paw, Trembly Paw, etc., and Papooch because every show needs a dog.

Princess Paw Paw also possessed a magical amulet that would bring their animal totem to life to help protect the village by splitting into the three represented animals for land (Totem Bear), sea (Totem Tortoise), and air defense (Totem Eagle), and if Princess Paw Paw's voice sounds familiar it may be because Susan Blu also would later voice Arcee in Transformers as well as voice characters dozens of other kids cartoons.

The Paw Paws were like a lot of cartoons back then in that they only lasted one season of 21 episodes but I'd swear to god there were more. I don't know, I guess you watched the same cartoons over and over again so it always felt like there were more episodes than there really were (callback, how the hell were there only 20 episodes of Dyno-Mutt????)

I'd completely forgotten about the Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. I mean, I clearly remember Paw Paws, and I distinctly remember them being on Sunday mornings, but I'd forgotten about TFWOHB until I was reading the wiki writeup and then I looked it up on youtube and it was like, holy cow yeah, I completely remember this intro now...

Funtastic ran on Sunday mornings from 1985-1994 and would often incorporate popular music into Hanna Barbera videos such as this CCR classic...

The Paw Paws were one of many great shows that aired during these blocks many of which debuted as part of this programming such as the Paw Paws, Galtar and the Golden Lance, and Sky Commanders (anyone remember those toys?) as well as airing classics like The Snorks, Smurfs, The Jetsons, etc.

I remember having a couple of these guys and they were fun for a minute until you accidentally got the string tangled up or it broke. Still kind of an interesting forgotten toy. BTW 1980's toy commecials were the best. I always lamented that my backyard was never as cool.

"Mom, why doesn't our yard have rock walls and little water falls?"

"Because we rent the upper apartment of a duplex in the city, son."

If only those strings were long enough to go from the blacony to the ground. But they weren't. And that fall would break most toys, including a Gen1 Megatron I owned, but that's another story for another day. Damn...

The Paw Paws, like just about any 80's cartoon property would have a brief toy line which is apparently pretty rare and valuable these days, I can't say I recall them, but there were so many toylines back then who could really keep track of them all?

Paw Paws was a decent enough kids show for the time, and like most H&B cartoons, you can find the complete series on DVD as well as the occassional episode on youtube if you're so inclined to search.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Few good things have ever come out of Canada. Sure there's a few musicians, a couple comedians, maybe some athletes and the Abdominizer...but what else really? Canadian Bacon? That's called ham. But at least there was cartoon #19...

I'm a simple northeastern boy at heart, you put a hockey sweater on any talking animal and I'm in. The Raccoons ran on the CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corp.) from 1985-1992, but I was always more a fan of the specials that preceded the series. The first, The Christmas Raccoons debuted Christmas 1980, and was on prety much every year of my childhood until DirecTV came along and we lost access to the CBC and CTV locally (I've tried buying digital antennas but they just don't reach far enough across the pond from our house, bummer).

Man, I really miss those channels. I remember watching a Canadian gameshow that was kind of like Scrabble and puzzling when they asked for the letters "heche" and "zed", but I never got into Degrassi, any iteration of it (sorry, Drake). And I'd killl to watch some Hockey Night in Canada even after they booted Don Cherry for whatever that was aboot.

The Christmas Raccoons introduced the world to married couple Ralph and Melissa Raccoon and their lovable live-in roomate, Bert. They lived in the Evergreen Forest and sought to save the forest from being cutdown by the evil, greedy, capitalist, Cyril Sneer. What's a Sneer? Hell if I knew back then, but I guess he's an aardvark allegedly. And now I know... There was also Schaeffer the dog who belonged to Ranger Dan and his children who would serve as bookends to the early specials.

The second Raccoons special, The Raccoons on Ice, came out the following Christmas, and if there's something more Canadian than woodland creatures settling the fate of a forest over a hockey game, than I have yet to see it. Ok, maybe maple syrup, but still. Alright, Gordon Lightfoot, too. Cyril was back, and this time he was looking to build his Cyril Dome exactly where Evergreen Lake currently resided. But the forest creatures would intervene and suggested it be settled by seeing who could more often put a vulcanized piece of rubber into the opposing teams net while skating upon a sheet of frozen water. The woodland creatures get Cyril's son, Cedric, to play for them since he's pretty good at hockey, but once Cyril finds out he forbades him from playing in the game. Cyril of course, has a team of giant bears who are beating the fur off the woodland team until Cedric's love interest, Sofia Tutu (or Sofa Girl as Cyril called her years before Harvey Weinstein was ever busted), convinces Cedric to play as the masked superstar--oooooooh. Unfortunately once the game is tied 3-3 Cyril discovers what his son is up to and forced him off the ice with threats of being put into the dungeon. And all looked lost. But what happened? I don't know, Gord, find out Wednesday...

The third special was The Raccoons and the Lost Star, and it doesn't sound familiar to me though it apparently aired in the States as well, and involved Schaeffer travelling to an alien jungle planet where Cyril Sneer was planning an invasion of Earth or something and presumably the consumption of many Labbatt Blues while crafting the story from the sounds of it.

After that The Raccoons would get thei own series that ran almost sixty episodes culminating in Cyril Sneers retirement and Cedric's taking over of the family business. I can't say I watched the series that often, though I remember seeing it on weekday afternoons but I'm sure it would have a hard time competing for my attention with shows like GI Joe, The Transformers, and later shows like Ducktales and Chip n Dale's Rescue Rangers (when there's danger!) on around the same time. But I still love those first two specials and watch them with my kids to this day around the holidays. Talking animals. Hockey. Sold.

I had always assumed that only places near the Canadian border actually saw these specials, but it sounds like they ran nationally, so I'm curious if anyone else remembers them (not that too many people actually respond to these posts). I guess they even aired on the Disney Channel back then but Disney wasn't something I would really touch prior to Lilo & Stitch (the greatest Disney animated feature ever!). You had to pick sides back then. It was WWF or WCW. Pepsi or Coke. Mets or Yankees. Disney or Warner Bros., and back then, Warner Bros. was so much better in my opinion. It's kind of crazy to think how that's changed in recent decades to where Disney owns everything now, even you. Heck, Disney is basically Cyril Sneer.

Apparently there's a Raccoons reboot in the works supposedly launching later this year with fittingly enough, a holiday special entitled When Raccoons Fly! Of course, earlier reports said this was slated for 2019, so who knows when, if, or where this will air, but here's the reboot design that was shared

A little more cartoony. It kind of reminds me of the rebooted Ducktales designs. I didn't really care for those, but strangely, I kind of dig these. Hopefully there's still hockey involved, eh. Bert's sweater looks more like a regular sweater than an actual hockey sweater, so....

Okay, and the Hart Foundation came from Canada. I'll give ya that one.

Now run with us, hoser!

Listen to that 80s goodness. Eat your heart out, Oingo Boingo.

And Tim Horton's. My wife would be upset if I didn't included Tim Horton's.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Stay Tooned!!!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:23 pm

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions