Please keep this forum going by using this banner as your link to BBTS, thank you!
Connect With Other DC Comics Fans @ DCToyRevolution.org!

Stay Tooned!!!--The End!?????

Discuss whatever you want here, but please, keep it clean and use good judgement!

Re: Stay Tooned!!!!

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Moving on to the Wonderland Zoo for cartoon #26...

Help!...It's the Hair Bear Bunch is one of the more unique names for a cartoon I'm familiar with. It debuted Saturday mornings on CBS in the fall of 1971 and I'd best describe it as what if Sgt. Bilko was the star of Hogan's Heroes instead of Col. Hogan, and they were bears in a zoo? Of course, I didn't know anything about those shows when I was a kid and came across this show as part of the USA Cartoon Express in the 1980s, but cartoon characters being created to sound like famous real life people is nothing new.

Yogi Bear was basically Art Carney in Ursidae form. The Ant & the Aardvark was just Jackie Mason chasing Dean Martin (why that was never a real show I'll never know, pally). Fred Flinstone is just an animated Jackie Gleason, not surprising since The Flinstones are just the prehistoric Honeymooners. We even already talked about characters like Bogey from the Shirt Tales who was basically Humphrey Bogape and The Simpsons' Chief Wiggum sounds a lot like Edward G. Robinson. Hell, everyone knows Mickey Mouse was created to sound like Mike Tyson.

Help!... told the tale of three bear cousins who were constantly trying to escape their lavish cave without getting caught by the zookeepers, often times in an attempt of their last get-rich scheme before returning to their domicile. Their leader was Hair Bear, Jackie Moon in bearform, voiced by Daws Butler to sound like Sgt. Bilko himself, Phil Silvers. Paul Winchell, who voiced many Hanna-Barbera characters over the years, voiced Bubi Bear, the smallest of the three and often fell into bafflegab. And finally, there was Square Bear, the most laidback and dim of the trio. Together they would often try to escape on Square Bears invisble motorcycle (purchased at the same dealer as Diana's invisible jet, no doubt).

The zookeepers were Mr. Peevly, who was originally going to be voiced by McHale's Navy actor Joe Flynn, but reportedly Joe Barbera was unimpressed by his audition (it was said he commented that "Joe Flynn didn't sound enough like Joe Flynn."), so the role of the short-tempered zookeeper went to veteran H&B voice actor John Stepehenson who voiced the character to sound like Joe Flynn. Weird. The second zookeeper was bumbling Lionel Botch, who often uttered "Ooh! Ooh!" and sounded like The Phil Silvers' Show and Car 54, Where Are You? actor Joe E. Ross because he was voiced by The Phil Silvers Show and Car 54, Where Are You? actor Joe E. Ross. I never really watched Car 54, though I remember it airing early in Nick at Nite's infancy when Nick at Nite was actually a thing (someday I'll unload with my 80's sitcom Nick at Nite rant, but not today). My aunt used to sing the theme all the time because it must've been on the cave walls of her dwelling when she was younger. We used to quiz each other on sitcom songs and she knew a lot older songs like The Patty Duke Show, whereas I was more adept at shows like Gimme a Break! and Just the Ten of Us ("Doing it the best I can...").

Ross played the role of Officer Toody alongside a Herman Munster makeupless Fred Gwynne, who would later play Judge Chamberlain Haller in the greatest movie ever put to reel:

I never really got into black and white shows. They were almost a no-go for me once they hit Nickelodeon it was time to see what else was on. I did watch a lot of Bewitched though, but I also had a crush on Elizabeth Montgomery when I was younger so that probably was an incentive to watch. (Dick York > Dick Sargent). Coincidentally enough, the intro to Bewitched was animated by Hanna-Barbera, which also led to Samantha guest-starring in a season 6 episode of The Flinstones.

Joe E. Ross would go on a few years later to also voice the character of Sgt. Flint in the Hanna-Barbera karate cartoon, Hong Kong Phooey (number one superguy!). Joe E. Ross was so well-known for his "ooh! ooh!" that he even released a not-so great song of it:

Why the bears ever wanted to leave their luxurious cave is anyone's guess. I mean, look at it. I'm pretty certain if you did some excavating you might find the bones of two men and their butler. Should've brought that bear repellent, Bruce.

While Help!...It's the Hair Bear Bunch only lasted one 16 episode season, it also spawned a thirteen issue Gold Key Comics series (maybe Webs has some issues in his store?) retitled simply The Hair Bear Bunch:

There were rumors that The Hair Bear Bunch were going to be redevloped as middle segment of 2 Stupid Dogs! but that never came to fruition. They did make a rather surprising comeback in the short-lived Adultswim cartoon Welcome to Eltngville:

At least it wasn't The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley, quite possibly the worst cartoon in the history of the known universe--trust me, and some of the shows that aired in the Sirius system are real dogs (that's space humor---Bob).

Help!... like many Hanna-Barbera cartoons, is available on DVD as part of the Hanna-Barbera Classics line. While it wasn't the greatest show, the song was pretty catchy, and it left enough of a mark on me from it's airings on the Cartoon Express, that I still think of it fondly.

Interestingly enough, there is an episode where the bears scheme to win $500 by entering a zoo gorilla named Bananas as a masked-wrestler named Kling Klong in an effort to defeat professional wrestler, the Masked Marvel. But when the Marvel comes down with the measels, Botch fills in for him.

While I can't find any proof, it made me curious if the wrestling term 'botch' (to mess up a move) preceded this show. Surely it must have, but I couldn't find any definitive first use of the word, but whatever the case, it's an interesting chicken or the egg question I've left myself to delve into deeper to see whether the term and the episode are related, but isn't it pretty to think so?

"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:23 pm

We're almost at 4000 views, which means someone else has looked at this thread almost 1500 times.
"Somewhere in a lonely hotel room, there's a guy starting to realize that eternal fate has turned its back on him. It's 2 AM."
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:11 pm

packerbacker180 wrote:We're almost at 4000 views, which means someone else has looked at this thread almost 1500 times.

Well sure in the heck ain't Me dude. I've only visited thsi topic a handful of times :lol:

Anyway that is something bout what you said about Tyson ;) What is the origin of that animated likeness...do you know :?:
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:16 pm

It's an old Adultswim cartoon called Mike Tyson Mysteries, can't say I ever actually watched it so don't expect a write-up on it anytime soon. But it certainly looks...interesting? Like a parody of Mister T. and a bunch of other shows jumbled into an ear-biting blender.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:42 pm

I see, it does look ok but I have never watch watched Adultswim. Thanks :)
The Past isn't a Wilderness of Horrors - We Grow Old Because We Stop Playing - DTA - If it's been done in a movie, then most likely it's already been done in Real Life - ALWAYS Watch the Skies - Question Everything, FTW! = Me + Various <-->
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:57 am

Wait a minute dude, I take that back, I did a bit on YT. I loved their MOTU spoofs. Have you seen them? If so which one is your favorite :?: I didn't know about them till Mattel made Molarr for MOTUC back in the day :o
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:46 pm

Adultswim? I've seen a few shows. Never really was something I sought out. I've seen a couple Rick & Morty episodes, and while they're somewhat funny, I've never followed the show much. By MOTU spoofs, I assumed you're talking about Robot Chicken? I watched the first few seasons and liked them, but after a while lost interst in it. Really the only Adultswim show I ever went out of my way to watch is #32 on our list, The Venture Bros. so I'll hold off more on that until we get there. I didn't even get into that until a buddy at my Walmart job at the time was like, you should really check this show out, and it was great, and I was hooked. But stuff like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, or Space Ghost Coast to Coast, were just things that were on when I wasn't really watching cartoons at all except maybe for The Simpsons, so they just went past without much notice from me.
packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:01 am

Yes, Robot Chicken, that is what I meant. The MOTU ones are really the only shorts that I watched. The She-Ra version is extremely hilarious :!:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

Postby packerbacker180 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 am

History is littered with bloody feuds, the Hatfields and McCoys, the Yankees and Red Sox, WCW Nitro and Monday Night Raw, John Gustafson and Max Goldman, yet none are really quite as "littered" as the battle for orange cat supremacy between two fat felines...

Many people think Garfield is the OG (orangeinal gangsta!) when it comes to the tangerine felis catus of the animated kind, but the fact is Heathcliff predates the lasagna lover by half a decade. Let's check out the, ahem, tail of the tape...

Hailing from Westfinster and debuting in 1973 by way of the mind of George Gately, born on the wrong side of town, with both his parents in jail, the youngster was left to fend for himself on the rough streets of coastal Westfinster until the day he was adopted by the Nutmeg family. Never one to shy away from trouble, The terror of the fish market, the bully of bulldogs, and friend to the female felines, his career has spanned two television shows, a 56 issues Star Comics run, and a major motion picture in 1986, he is...

HEATHCLIFF!!!!

Fighting out of Muncie, Indiana, and debuting nationally in 1978 from his creator Jim Davis, he resides with his owner, John Arbuckle, and his partner in crime, Odie, he is the lover of lasagna, the large mound of the homebound, hater of Binky, excercise, and Nermal, his career has traversed 10 prime time specials, a long-running Saturday morning cartoon, and five feature lenghth films he is....

GARFIELD!!!!!

Let's have a clean fight, no litter kicking, and no nails to the eyes.

AND THE WINNER AND UNDISPUTED GREATEST ORANGE CAT OF ALL-TIME...

Spoiler:
MORRIS THE CAT!

I'll always have a soft spot for Garfield as I was a huge fan of the cartoon series plus many of the prime time specials. I still watch the Halloween and Christmas specials on DVD but I'd love to see some of the others that aren't holiday related. Plus, when I was young my dad went on a business trip(which was really rare) and when we picked him up at the airport he gave me a Garfield stuffed animal that I cherished for years. I still have it somewhere.

But despite predating Garfield, Heathcliff has sort of become the forgotten orange kitty, and his cartoon was one I watched pretty regularly back in the day. Similar to Garfield and Friends, Heathcliff was divided into two separate segments. In the first Heathcliff cartoon was entitled The Heathcliff and Dingbat Show and aired on Saturday mornings, but in season 2 it was retitled Heathcliff and Marmaduke. I was only a couple years old so I don't really remember either version. It wasn't until a second Heathcliff animated show debuted in syndication from DiC that I remember.

Here's cartoon #27...

Heathcliff returned to the tube in September of 1984, voiced once again by the legendary Mel Blanc. The theme song was sung by Noam Kaniel, though I'd swear for years it was Kenny Loggins (but he of course was in the Hundred Acre Wood instead). This time along for the ride came the newly created Catillac Cats featuring Riff-Raff, Hector, Wordsworth W. Wordsworth, Mungo, and Cleo (me-ow!) who starred in the second segment of each half hour show.

Wait, this was a kids show right...?

"Things are gonna get hairy...for Bush!"--Riff-Raff, aka Mr. Goodtime
"I like the killer corckscrew. But won't the noise wake up the carnie?"--Cleo

Heathcliff ran for two season and 86 episodes before a feature length film entitled Heathcliff: The Movie debuted in theatres on January 17, 1986 (two days before my 8th birthday!) and went on to be th 8th highest grossing animated film of the yea--to be fair it faced some tough competition with Transformers the Movie, Care Bears II, An American Tail, Go-Bots: War of the Rock Lords, The Great Mouse Detective, and My Little Pony: The Movie all debuted that year.

Whereas Garfield was lazy, Heathcliff was always on the go around town looking for and often getting into trouble. Similarly, whereas Garfield and Friends had U.S.Acres as a secondary segment of wacky farm animals, the Catillac Cats were yet another group of street tough cats always in search of wealth and food. So in a ll seriousness, in a battle of animated orange cats, the clear cut winner would be...

Spoiler:
TIGGER!

While both Heathcliff and Garfield had nationally syndicated newspaper comics, Heathcliff was the first to gain his own comic book by way of Star Comics.

My parents would take me to the local flea market on Sundays (though I never got any fleas--maybe in later years a Tetanus shot wouldn't have been a bad idea, but that's another story) . Anyway, for some reason I always gravitated to Star Comics. Peter Porker, Heathcliff, Madballs, ALF, Muppet Babies, Thundercats, and Masters of the Universe, were books I picked up quite regularly (and could in no way have any correlation to my obsession with cartoons, nope, none). Looking back now, I'm wondering if it also wasn't a case of some of the other books being sold out by the time Sunday rolled around and I just chose the best of what remained. But I'll always have a soft spot for Star, it was way better than that New Universe dreck!

Anywho, I fear this post has meandered on long enough with actually little to do with Heathcliff the cartoon so I'll leave it off by noting that the Heathcliff cartoons are available in various forms on DVD. A few years ago, maybe five or six, I found a Best of DVD for a couple bucks and bought it for car rides for the kids and they seemed to enjoy it well enough when they were younger, and even though I didn't actually see much of it from the front seat, hearing voices (including Mel Blanc) brought back memories and it wasn't hard to visualize everything in my own mind.

packerbacker180
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby BrandonDaCollector » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:08 pm

Great post Packer and battle rundown :) Yeah, the war between the two fat cats :lol: Truth is, I watched both of them when I was a kid but I always preferred Garfield more. I liked his Garfield and Friends show as well. Its been a long while since I watched Heathcliff, in fact many years but I watch Garfield kinda often. My two fave films of his is Garfield in the Rough and Garfield's Halloween Adventures! Both are a tradition for Halloween for Me. Ever since My Mom recorded them long ago from TV on VHS when they originally aired, they always stuck with Me. Those were such great times. To this day I find them hilarious, emotional and scary. When they were released on DVD I had to buy them! Here is a couple pics I got from the web.

I believe these are available on YT for free if your not familiar with them. If you never seen them before I would give them a try, they are true classics and some of the best of the 80s :!:
BrandonDaCollector
League Elite
League Elite

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions